I need to buy a scanner for OCR purposes.

Hi,

I live in the UK and am after a scanner which is ok for ocr'ing books and
documents. I don't think I'll want to use it for anything else. Does
anyone have any recommendations? I have a preference for buying a cheap
one, but which does its job competently, and for buying somewhere over the
Net if possible.

Thanks.

I think just about any of them will work fine for that. Ebay has a ton of
them. I picked up a epson 636 for about $10 including shipping.

"Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> I think just about any of them will work fine for that. Ebay has a ton of
> them. I picked up a epson 636 for about $10 including shipping.

Some will work better than others surely?? (given the same software)

> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
> > I think just about any of them will work fine for that. Ebay has a ton
of
> > them. I picked up a epson 636 for about $10 including shipping.
> >

> Some will work better than others surely?? (given the same software)

As long as the scanner will scan at 300-600 dpi, in B&W,Gray Scale, and/or
Color and the size of your documents.

That is all that is needed in a scanner for OCR. The OCR software makes a
huge difference though.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:14:34 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>"Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
>> > I think just about any of them will work fine for that. Ebay has a ton
>of
>> > them. I picked up a epson 636 for about $10 including shipping.
>> >

>> Some will work better than others surely?? (given the same software)
>>

>As long as the scanner will scan at 300-600 dpi, in B&W,Gray Scale, and/or
>Color and the size of your documents.
>
>That is all that is needed in a scanner for OCR. The OCR software makes a
>huge difference though.

And even the best is not perfect which means your scans will require
proof reading.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

articleindemand

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hello,

I came across this company VKN BPO Pvt. Ltd from Tamil Nadu, they offer much cheaper Book scanners and OMR Software, they both take up projects and also sell the software at much cheaper cost. Contact this email for more information. He assists in a good manner - jkngroup@gmail.com and jkn@jkn.name
There OMR softwares can be used even in cheaper flat bed scanners and ADF scanners which are available at less than $100 from HP, namely HP4300.
Hope it gives the best solutions for you

Regards

omrjenny

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Dear Friend
We are professional OMR scanner and OMR software manufacture in China , Now all the products have gained CE,FCC,ROHS certificates .

OMR scanner is a fast data capture machine , it can capture the datas of the answer sheets with no errors and widely used in the educational Exams , Government surveys and Elections .

If you have any interest , please contact to us .
Jenny
Email: mysendlc@yeah.net
Msn: chinaomr@hotmail.com
Tel: 0086 15933806295