Question I need to choose a gaming laptop, help needed

jimmyhoffa

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello all,

I need to make a choice between 2 gaming laptops and I was wondering what to choose.

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 8750H clock 2.2Ghz Turbo up to 4.1 Ghz
  • 16GB DDR4 memory (1× 16gb)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q 8Gb dedicated
  • G-Sync
  • 144hz screen

OR

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 9750H clock 2.6 Ghz Turbo up tp 4.5 Ghz
  • 16 GB DDR 4 ( 2x 8GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB dedicated
  • no Gsync
  • 144hz screen.

Both laptops are priced the same.
Wich one gives me more bang for my bucks?

Thanks.

h0pT0 Gaming

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
Hello all,

I need to make a choice between 2 gaming laptops and I was wondering what to choose.

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 8750H clock 2.2Ghz Turbo up to 4.1 Ghz
  • 16GB DDR4 memory (1× 16gb)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q 8Gb dedicated
  • G-Sync
  • 144hz screen
OR

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 9750H clock 2.6 Ghz Turbo up tp 4.5 Ghz
  • 16 GB DDR 4 ( 2x 8GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB dedicated
  • no Gsync
  • 144hz screen.
Both laptops are priced the same.
Wich one gives me more bang for my bucks?

Thanks.

Ok, so when I say A I mean that top laptop (with gsync) and B is the bottom laptop (without gsync). I have made important sentences bold.

The 2060 in laptop B is more powerful and lets you ray-trace
meaning that you able to turn on a option is some games which makes light reflects a lot more realistic. If you care about having a better graphics card then choose laptop B however you are getting a slightly worse CPU. If you don't mind having a slightly worse CPU then chose Laptop B. Laptop B has dual channel ram (two ram sticks) this means that the ram as a whole will be a bit faster and could potentially boost fps in most games by up to 5-7fps (amazing I know right xD).
However Laptop B doesn't not have gsync meaning that you will experience screen tearing, some people can deal with this while others can't. If you want to completely eliminate screen tearing then choose laptop A. However if you choose laptop B then note that you are able to use Vsync in most games but it means that you must make sure that your fps would be higher than the frame cap otherwise you will experience lots of stuttering.

Laptop A:
  • Slightly worse graphics
  • Gsync (no screen tearing at all)
  • Slightly slower RAM
  • Slightly worse CPU (the differance is quite unnoticeable)
Laptop B:
  • Slightly better graphics
  • Screen tearing unless you use Vsync (but this could causes occasional stutters)
  • Slightly faster RAM
  • Slightly better CPU
In the end it is all up to your personal preference. They are both worth the same really. I would personally go with laptop A because of Gsync.

Sorry for the extremely long answer.

Personally I'd choose laptop B, it has RTX graphics, better CPU (above poster probably got muddled up) and dual channel memory. All of these will mean a higher frame rate. You are probably looking at 10 FPS more with this system in typical gaming. In addition to this, with a monitor that refreshes 144 time a second, any teared frames that occur due to lack of G-sync will be quickly replaced.

h0pT0 Gaming

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
Personally I'd choose laptop B, it has RTX graphics, better CPU (above poster probably got muddled up) and dual channel memory. All of these will mean a higher frame rate. You are probably looking at 10 FPS more with this system in typical gaming. In addition to this, with a monitor that refreshes 144 time a second, any teared frames that occur due to lack of G-sync will be quickly replaced.

While tears will be replaced fairly quickly, it is still annoying and noticeable. I personally don’t think it’s worth it just for extra frames.