I need to lower the price of this computer so it is closer to $1000

AssassinAzn

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

Ganjasaur

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I can't help you with the price, but I can tell you not to get that USB wifi dongle. Get a wifi extender and plug your PC into that instead. You'll get much faster speeds for the same/lower price.

Do you have a screw driver? If so, you don't need a "tool kit".
Don't bother with the wrist band - install your power supply first, plug it in to the wall, and touch the bare metal of the case or power supply every minute or so to ground yourself.

Get 2 sticks of 4GB RAM each, run them dual channel. It'll be faster.

Get an Agility 4 instead of 3 - they're more reliable.

You can probably get just a 500GB hard drive.

That's an unreliable PSU - save money by getting a 500w power supply of a good brand.

Don't bother with a "gaming" keyboard - get a Comfort Curve 2000 - very well built for cheaper.

If you want to save $100, go with a 660ti or AMD offering.

AssassinAzn

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
this computer is for gaming btw...
ummm i got a 8 gb ram stick so I can add on later when I have more money...
can you pick a agility 4 and a hard drive out for me...
also what do you mean that the psu is unreliable?

Ganjasaur

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
he means the psu is going to break. Better to buy name-brand psu. Also there's no need to go for the gaming keyboard, Unless it's mechanical there won't be a difference.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
both hard drives and ssd's go on rebate sales all the time, watch and pounce on a good deal. Last month a 1.5TB hard drive was $50 and 128gb SSD was $60, if you paid attention. I'd say get the Harddrive first and then you get choose between the cheaper last generation SSD and the more expensive current generation later on.

I have a total of 8GB... when gaming with photoshop and 16 tabs open in chrome, I don't use more than 6 of it.

You don't need to add more later - it's better to get 8GB of faster ram. Besides, that motherboard has 4 slots - you can always decide to add another two 4GB sticks.

What do you mean pick an agility 4? Just get the size you need - I recommend a 128gb one. As for the hard drive, get a 500GB western digital blue.

Haven't heard good or bad about kingston, so I can't comment there.
It's a sandforce-based controller, though, so it'll be about as reliable and fast as every other sandforce-based SSD.

I again recommend a different keyboard unless your heart is set on that one - it's too gimmicky to justify the price.

I also highly highly recommend just using an ethernet cable to connect to your modem - it's indefinably more reliable, and way faster to boot.

Okay, in that case, get a PCI wireless card rather than a USB dongle.

As for a cheaper keyboard, I already recommended one - the Comfort Curve 2000. Don't fall for flashy lights and "gaming" tags - they're just a way to increase price.

As for making the computer cheaper, get the lowest-end quad core ivy bridge i5 and a 660 or 660ti instead of 670.

TRENDING THREADS