Question I need troubleshooting help.

Dec 15, 2022
hello, this is my first post here. i’m sorry if this doesn’t belong here, but i don’t know who else to talk to about this because no one knows whats going on.

so, two weeks ago i was using my PC, and then it suddenly BSOD on me, and then it wouldnt POST. it kept giving me an orange DRAM led.

i tried making sure the RAM was seated properly, i tried switching the slots, i tried using just one stick in each slot for both sticks, and i even tried buying new RAM sticks.

i figured maybe it was a CPU issue, even though the DRAM led was telling me otherwise. so I RMA’d my CPU and when they sent another back, it still wouldnt POST.

i thought “maybe the slots on the motherboard are somehow damaged, or maybe my motherboard is just broken” so i got a new motherboard.

this brand new motherboard still. won’t. POST. it’s giving the same orange DRAM light, and i tried starting it with one stick again, still nothing. i did return the new sticks i had bought when trying to troubleshoot on the other motherboard, so i don’t have those anymore.

at least i know it’s something with my components but i seriously cannot figure out what it is, i literally tried everything. my PC was working just fine for months before this issue :( can anyone help me?

everything turns on btw. all my fans are running, my GPU led is on etc.

edit: my specs are

• MSI Mag b560m Mortar (previous motherboard mentioned is Asus PRIME b560m-a)
  • Core i5 11600k
  • RTX 2060
  • Corsair Vengence 2x8gb DDR4 memory
  • Corsair CV550 550w 80+ bronze

all of these components were bought new, and only about 9 months old.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Consider that the one common factor to all of the posted issues is the PSU.

And PSUs provide three different voltages (3.3., 5, and 12) to various system components. So it is quite possible that some components will appear to work while other components do not work.

Dec 15, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Consider that the one common factor to all of the posted issues is the PSU.

And PSUs provide three different voltages (3.3., 5, and 12) to various system components. So it is quite possible that some components will appear to work while other components do not work.
thank you, i’ve updated my specs. unfortunately, i do not have an extra PSU to test this, but i was thinking the same thing, could it just be that it isnt supplying enough power? and if that was the case, how come it worked fine before this? i haven’t had any recent power outages or anything.

Ralston18

Titan
Like many other products PSUs have a designed in EOL (End of Life).

Time and/or usage can rapidly degrade the PSU to some threshold condition where the PSU begins to falter and fail.

Okay until some threshold condition is reached and the problems begin.....

For example: providing X watts all is okay. X+1 watts then problems....

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that have been captured since the problems began. Two weeks ago - correct? Reliability History's timeline may identify some specific event that occurred.

Update History may show some related update failure.

= = = =

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors make the PSU suspect.

If you know someone who has a multi-meter and knows how to use it then the current PSU can be tested to a limited extent.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU likely suspect.

Dec 15, 2022
Like many other products PSUs have a designed in EOL (End of Life).

Time and/or usage can rapidly degrade the PSU to some threshold condition where the PSU begins to falter and fail.

Okay until some threshold condition is reached and the problems begin.....

For example: providing X watts all is okay. X+1 watts then problems....

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that have been captured since the problems began. Two weeks ago - correct? Reliability History's timeline may identify some specific event that occurred.

Update History may show some related update failure.

= = = =

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors make the PSU suspect.

If you know someone who has a multi-meter and knows how to use it then the current PSU can be tested to a limited extent.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU likely suspect.
I ended up getting a whole new PSU (RM650 80+ gold) but the problem still persists. how likely is it that my old mobo died and took my ram sticks with it?

Ralston18

Titan
Modular PSU: did you use/reuse any cables from some other PSU?

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB560MMORTARWIFI_MAGB560MMORTAR.pdf

From physically numbered Page 19:

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first. "

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide to double check the physical installation and connections for all components.

Read all fine print, notes, warnings, etc..

Also doublecheck all corresponding configuration settings if possible.

Dec 15, 2022
Modular PSU: did you use/reuse any cables from some other PSU?

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB560MMORTARWIFI_MAGB560MMORTAR.pdf

From physically numbered Page 19:

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first. "

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide to double check the physical installation and connections for all components.

Read all fine print, notes, warnings, etc..

Also doublecheck all corresponding configuration settings if possible.
no i did not reuse any cables.
yes it is that motherboard, and i know my memory is in the right slots.
i’ve just about replaced every single thing in my system except RAM sticks. i tried that in my old motherboard, but i had since returned the new ones i got before i had bought this new motherboard.