[SOLVED] I overclocked my 9900k to 5.0Ghz but when I run Cinebench R15, the cores only run at 3.6ghz

Solution

Well I would say you are throttling and thus not reaching max clocks to get you the best scores....As I said, it would be good for you to understand what a stable 5GHz overclock will require in terms of cooling to stop any throttleing and fine tuning your vcore to get the lowest vcore for your maximim overclock will allow your 9900K to run cooler.

The 9900K is a beast at 5GHz...

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake C5 Untouchable Air Cooler rated at 230TDP
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Edge AC Micro ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 Running at 4400Mhz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 80+

Anything over 1.35v is going to cause a lot of heat on the 9900K especially at 5GHz so very, very good cooling is required...Like a 280mm/360mm AIO or a top Noctua NH-D15 and even then the Noctua might struggle...Even your RAM at DDR4 4400 is contibuting to the heat with the integrated controller on the CPU...

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016

I did not use Prime95, but I re-ran the tests using Cinebench and used Speccy to see the temps. The temps were like 88'C on average and the max temp I saw was 90'C

Well I would say you are throttling and thus not reaching max clocks to get you the best scores....As I said, it would be good for you to understand what a stable 5GHz overclock will require in terms of cooling to stop any throttleing and fine tuning your vcore to get the lowest vcore for your maximim overclock will allow your 9900K to run cooler.

The 9900K is a beast at 5GHz but also a beast at producing heat...So good cooling is required and that means cpu cooler, case airflow and VRM cooling...

Solution

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016

How does this "throttling" translate as to the reason why my Cinebench R15 is only testing my OC 5.0Ghz CPU at 3.6Ghz, whereas my default CPU settings tests the CinebenchR15 at 4.7Ghz?

Thats a good point but I think that comes becouse of the extra voltage that is now being used by the CPU and a few things come into play like LLC etc....I think the real issue here is just to test the stability of the overclock first at the required vcore and see where you end up. If you can carry a 5GHz overclock in a test like Prime95 and not go beyond say 95 degrees then you are okay...

It's always worth testing overclocks first to find your baseline limits...

Yep at default auto it should allow 1 core to hit 5GHz and the rest to 4.7GHz if MCE is enabled....Ic ould be wrong as I don't have the 9900K but a 8700K...