Question I pay for 250mbps down load speed but I`m only getting 9mbps

Jul 24, 2019
I bought a new Dell Inspiron 3670 computer about 8 months ago and it was super fast until about a week ago when I did a bunch of speed tests and found that my speed was 9mbps down load when I am paying for 250 mbps from Xfinity / Comcast. What is odd is that my other 4 old as hell computers are all getting 250-290mbps down load speed and the only difference from the old computers and the new one is the old computers are running windows 7 and the new computer is windows 10. What can I do? Dell, MS and Comcast do not care about my problem.

What build of Windows 10 is it running? Install any major releases recently?

If there were no major release installs that need mentioning, I would try checking for driver updates for any and all network adapters in the machine. If there are none, download the current one, and then uninstall the driver from Device Manager, reboot the machine and then reinstall the driver from the copy you just downloaded.

Reactions: dbm$$$
Jul 24, 2019
What build of Windows 10 is it running? Install any major releases recently?

If there were no major release installs that need mentioning, I would try checking for driver updates for any and all network adapters in the machine. If there are none, download the current one, and then uninstall the driver from Device Manager, reboot the machine and then reinstall the driver from the copy you just downloaded.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly but unfortunately I was unable to try your suggestion as quickly. I attempted to follow your instructions but found throw my lack of experience that many more questions came to light during the process. I am new to the forum and do not know the guidelines, so for your consideration and the consideration of others I can created a new set of more detailed questions to submit in hopes of more great tips on how to get my speed back or if this thread is OK for you to continue on, please let me know.

You asked two questions and I have the answer to only one of them: Windows 10 Home Version 1903, however, it says it was installed on 7/18/2019 which does not make sense to me unless this date represents an update as I bought the computer Dec 2018. It also provides a OS build number of 18362:239. As for major releases, I do not know where to find that info at this time, but I will research it until I find the answer.

Thank you again!

Jul 24, 2019
Have you run tests on other devices in your network? If not, that is the next step.
Yes, I have 3 other computers, 2 wired, one wireless and all are Windows 7, I also have a smart TV that is wireless. All of these units pass the speed test. The only computer that is effected is my new Dell w/ Windows 10.

Yes, I have 3 other computers, 2 wired, one wireless and all are Windows 7, I also have a smart TV that is wireless. All of these units pass the speed test. The only computer that is effected is my new Dell w/ Windows 10.
It has to be a driver issue. Go to the dell support site and punch in your service tag. Then download the latest network interface card drivers. If that doesn't work you probably have a warranty with dell. Call them up.

Reactions: dbm$$$
Jul 24, 2019
Update on the resolution of my request for help concerning:
I pay for 250mbps down load speed but I`m only getting 9mbps

Two folks offered me help and for that I am grateful, but do to my lack of knowledge it was hard to accomplish the direction that they gave me so I paid Dell to fix it and this is what I found out. The problem was not a driver but an update from an older version of Windows 10 that was not compatible with my ISP (XFINITY).

According to Dell this problem Microsoft is aware of and they are working on a patch for it. There are 2 ways to solve this problem: A. Remove the update B. Change your ISP. I could not change my ISP and I had already paid Dell for an extended premium warranty so I got the update removed.

Bottom line Windows 10 is a bloated pain in the ass and MS should have done something to help those affected by this instead of waiting months or longer to create a patch, such as extracting the update when MS does scheduled updates or at least providing a notification on a community board. I cant for the day that we have a choice of OS on the same computer so that there is competition.

This is a great forum and thanks again for the support!

Jul 25, 2019
Update on the resolution of my request for help concerning:
I pay for 250mbps down load speed but I`m only getting 9mbps

Two folks offered me help and for that I am grateful, but do to my lack of knowledge it was hard to accomplish the direction that they gave me so I paid Dell to fix it and this is what I found out. The problem was not a driver but an update from an older version of Windows 10 that was not compatible with my ISP (XFINITY).

According to Dell this problem Microsoft is aware of and they are working on a patch for it. There are 2 ways to solve this problem: A. Remove the update B. Change your ISP. I could not change my ISP and I had already paid Dell for an extended premium warranty so I got the update removed.

Bottom line Windows 10 is a bloated pain in the ass and MS should have done something to help those affected by this instead of waiting months or longer to create a patch, such as extracting the update when MS does scheduled updates or at least providing a notification on a community board. I cant for the day that we have a choice of OS on the same computer so that there is competition.

This is a great forum and thanks again for the support!

I really don't think you talked to Dell. First off, paid for support on a brand new computer? Never heard of that. Second, there is no version of Windows 10 that is incompatible with an Ethernet cord. In fact, there's no version of any Windows (except going back into the 1990's) that doesn't support internet via Ethernet cables. XFINITY has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing your issue lies elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. No. You were sold a load of bunk. No version of anything has ever been not compatible with an ISP

Jul 24, 2019
I really don't think you talked to Dell. First off, paid for support on a brand new computer? Never heard of that. Second, there is no version of Windows 10 that is incompatible with an Ethernet cord. In fact, there's no version of any Windows (except going back into the 1990's) that doesn't support internet via Ethernet cables. XFINITY has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing your issue lies elsewhere.

Jul 24, 2019

I did have to buy a extended warranty because my limited warranty for the first year did not cover beyond basic support from Dell. But you are unprofessional for calling someone you do not know a lair. As for what I explained fixed my computer, it is the best explanation that I can give based on what my Dell rep told me, as I said before I have little understanding of this all. Below you can find two emails sent to me from Dell yesterday so that you and anyone else that has the time and enjoys bad mouthing people can see it did happen, and no I would waste try to create emails, but I surely will not use Toms again as it is clear the forum has unprofessional people like you.

As for the versions of Windows 10, the rep went into a long explanation that I am not going to try and explain as again I know little and could not keep with her. Which is why I came here for help because I do not know this stuff and did not want to spend any money. As for the update that she removed, I gave her my service tag number and she took control of my computer and deleted or removed an update that was some sort of wireless update and I debated with her because my computer is wired and she explained that to me as well and I did not understand that either but my computer is now working correctly, so I do not care if I understand what she did, why she did it or if you believe me.

Funny thing is that an intelligent mature adult would have realized that my message about the completion or resolution I did not even need to take my time to write it. I wrote it for others with no experience to be helpful so that they would not feel stranded and so that the pros on this site might find it useful as everyone no matter how great they are at what they do has something learn everyday, further I believe that the pros probably realize already that I was truly grateful and that I was not bad mouthing them and that I was trying to be helpful as again why would I write the response as I do hang out on these type forums because I do not have anything offer the forum.

I may not know what Im doing when it comes to tech, but I said that from the beginning. One thing is for sure Im not a liar and I have a track record of that.

Below: Message one: Email from Rep - Message two: Survey from Dell
For my safety I have blocked out parts of links, numbers and my private email address.

Contact Us | Support Library | Download Center | SupportAssist | Community Forums

Hi DAVID

This mail is related to your recent interaction with Dell technical support regarding the Slow Wired internet connection on your dell computer. I hope that we have been able to successfully identify and fix all the issues with your computer to your full satisfaction.

If you need anything at all related to this reference numbers, please contact me directly by replying to this email.

Thank you for choosing Dell,
Janeth Haloc
Dell
| Technical Support

If you have any other issues or concerns please contact us here:

ref:_00D0GaMp._500sp:ref

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent contact to Dell Support regarding Case number: 99520, INSPIRON 3670. At Dell we are committed to delivering the best Customer Experience to our customers. Valuable feedback regarding your experience with Dell Support will help us improve our processes and provide better service to you. For more information on how Dell uses your personal information please see the footer below.

You can begin by answering this question:
Please rate your overall satisfaction with your recent Dell support experience on 2019-07-27
Not at all
Satisfied
NeutralExtremely
Satisfied
This survey is available for 10 days and should take about 2 minutes to complete.

We look forward to your feedback.

Sincerely,
The Dell Team
This email was sent to @yahoo.com. If the above link does not work, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: https://dell.inquisiteasp.com/cgi-bin/qcorporate.dll?

We are working with MaritzCX, an independent customer experience firm, to conduct the survey and analyze the results. MaritzCX privacy policy

Results from this survey will not be used for sales purposes. Your individual responses will be combined with those from other customers and used by Dell to improve our services and operations. Dell, and/or it's designated service providers, may contact you for additional feedback. Any personal information you provide will be used and shared as described in Dell’s online Privacy Statement: https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/policies-privacy-country-specific-privacy-policy

Please do not reply directly to this invitation. This email box is not monitored.

To remove @yahoo.com from receiving this survey in the future, please unsubscribe.

Dell Inc., One Dell Way, Round Rock, TX 78682

Jul 24, 2019
Lol. No. You were sold a load of bunk. No version of anything has ever been not compatible with an ISP

According to my 30 second Google search there has been problems with Xfinity and Windows 10 and from what the Dell Rep told me the old wifi update would effect your computer speed even if you are wired. Here is one of thousands of links that can be researched on the subject. This article may not have been what happened to my computer but it proves that an ISP can have conflict with Windows 10.

Slow Xfinity Wifi with Windows 10, known issue?
We have recently installed Xfinity in our new apartment using their router. We are getting barely any internet and have tried troubleshooting with them and have even exchanged the box.
When I call support, there is a message stating that there is an issue with computers that have upgraded to Windows 10 and Microsoft is aware of the issue.
Is there any resolution on this or any workarounds? We are getting download speeds of 1.3 MBPS and upload speeds of 0.74 MBPS.
As you can imagine, we can't do anything at all...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...wn-issue/8b90bcc8-232a-4347-aab4-acb7e0f10fa5

Jul 24, 2019
Wow that was an interesting dilemma. I'm glad I have spectrum and i'm as equally as glad that your problem is resolved.

Thanks so much! Again, I am grateful for your help, support and advice and the support of The Prophecy as both of you gave me practical ideas on how to solve my problem. Have a great weekend!

D

Deleted member 14196

looking it up, it looks like Dell is automatically adding that junk to their builds. LOL, it is not Microsoft Windows which you state. Blame dell. I have never had one problem with all my systems on Comcast forever.

D

Deleted member 14196

Cool man, where your source?
I did a Google search for this issue and it’s the Smartbyte app that causes issue. and a bunch of the hits on the first page are the Dell community and some complaining that dell keep adding it back to his computer

I have installed hundreds of windows 10 operating system’s and none of them ever had smartbyte included so I know that that’s bunk

Google dell smartbyte. That is all you need to know to find it yourself

All prebuilt PCs from large companies come with tons of garbageware that slow your computer down. they don’t help you they are just garbage.

My HP was unusable when new until I clean installed

Smartbyte is an app from Rivet Network whose WiFi cards are used by Dell

I am glad you guys were able to solve it but just slamming windows is not the right thing to do

Last edited by a moderator: