News I Ran Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi So You Don't Have To

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
Using a set of hacks, you can run full Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi board, but the user experience leaves a lot to be desired. Read more here.
1550266851112.jpg

AVRAM PILTCH
@apiltch
Avram Piltch is Tom's Hardware's editor-in-chief. When he's not playing with the latest gadgets at work, you'll find him taking apart his PC or coding plugins.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
A nice dancing bear. It would be interesting to see what they could do on a board targeting a higher price point. $70 or even $100. In addition to having the additional oomph needed to run windows properly, it would be a great boon for those projects that are still over ambitious on the current generation. RetroPi is stuck in the 90s and could definitely use more CPU, GPU, and RAM to move forward.

A $75 SuperPi would be a nice addition to the family but still cheap enough for a lot of hobbyist fun.

ozymankos

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hmm that is a great learning experience
now please install a linux system
like the latest Zorin OS and tell us your thoughts

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
"the painful setup is not worth your time, because the payoff is an OS you can’t really use"
Never have I read a more accurate description of Windows 10.

Dec 8, 2018
It's better than i expected, on a 30€ board!

Mabye on the Pi 4 we can really use it ;-)

Anyway i tried it by myself and i noticed that the sd speed make a lot of difference.... I used a 32Gb SanDisk Extreme and a 64Gb Sandisk Ultra. On the first one i have no issue at all ( no BSOD, no crash or freeze....), on the second one it was a disaster...

Ps: i also tried minecraft, just for fun... I was a horrible experience but it can run ;-)

iuLmivc.png

w1fJtuw.png

iCvtyj7.png