[SOLVED] I scratched my monitor, need a fix

screwdriversrnice

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Hi everyone, I hope all are doing well through these unusual times. Recently, I went to sit down and have a few matches of r6. That’s when I noticed it, a cm long scratch on my monitor. I have an omen 24.5 inch 144hz led backlit panel. And the worst of it is, the scratch is rainbow. It’s annoying the crap out of me and if you guys have any ideas plsss share.

Solution
It's hard to tell in the picture, since its a little out of focus, but if it's just a scratch in the outer layer not affecting the pixels underneath, you might be able to fill the scratch using a plastic scratch repair kit. Results might vary depending on how deep the scratch is and what sort of finish the panel has.

Another option if its just a surface scratch would be to apply a bit of vaseline / petroleum jelly to the scratch and wipe off the excess, which can similarly hide the scratch, though in a less permanent way.

If the pixels underneath were affected though, which that rainbow color might potentially indicate, there might not be much you could do to fix them, short of replacing the panel, which is generally the most costly...
Two choices, live with it, or buy a new monitor, there's very little you can do. You might want to research techniques for repairing scratches in glass, but monitors are a lot more fragile so you'd have to assume there was a good chance of it making it worse.

It's hard to tell in the picture, since its a little out of focus, but if it's just a scratch in the outer layer not affecting the pixels underneath, you might be able to fill the scratch using a plastic scratch repair kit. Results might vary depending on how deep the scratch is and what sort of finish the panel has.

Another option if its just a surface scratch would be to apply a bit of vaseline / petroleum jelly to the scratch and wipe off the excess, which can similarly hide the scratch, though in a less permanent way.

If the pixels underneath were affected though, which that rainbow color might potentially indicate, there might not be much you could do to fix them, short of replacing the panel, which is generally the most costly part of a monitor, and potentially a bit difficult to do. Depending on the cost of the panel, it might be better to simply use the opportunity to upgrade to a new monitor, and relegate that one to a less-used system or something, if that's the case.

Solution