[SOLVED] I split a Raid 1 setup, now I can't access data on the separated drives ?

Feb 23, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I've read the rules and that I've googled my problem for a while before posting here. The topics I found there were not exactly my problem, and not specific enough, although my problem seems fairly simple :

I was running two 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 on my desktop, running an AMD CPU on an Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING motherboard. I was using the RAID mode of that motherboard, that's also what I previously used to build the array.

I then thought (based on google) that I could just separate my drives into different computers and that it would work, they'd be recognized by Windows (in AHCI mode). Well, it doesn't, and I also tried running Ubuntu on a thumb stick and my drive is not showing up there either.

The drive shows up in Disk Management, with a partition shown as healthy. I can't assign a letter to the drive by right clicking. I'm a bit worried to use data recovery software, because I'd like to make sure that my folder structure will be kept, since there's quite a lot of data in there.

For personal reasons, it would be a bit complicated to reunite the drives into the motherboard and backup the data. But if you guys tell me that it's my only option, I guess I'll find a way. It just sounds stupid that I can't access my data even though I know it's right there, on a healthy partition.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I've read the rules and that I've googled my problem for a while before posting here. The topics I found there were not exactly my problem, and not specific enough, although my problem seems fairly simple :

I was running two 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 on my desktop, running an AMD CPU on an Asus TUF X470-PLUS GAMING motherboard. I was using the RAID mode of that motherboard, that's also what I previously used to build the array.

I then thought (based on google) that I could just separate my drives into different computers and that it would work, they'd be recognized by Windows (in AHCI mode). Well, it doesn't, and I also tried running Ubuntu on a thumb stick and my drive is not showing up there either.

The drive shows up in Disk Management, with a partition shown as healthy. I can't assign a letter to the drive by right clicking. I'm a bit worried to use data recovery software, because I'd like to make sure that my folder structure will be kept, since there's quite a lot of data in there.

For personal reasons, it would be a bit complicated to reunite the drives into the motherboard and backup the data. But if you guys tell me that it's my only option, I guess I'll find a way. It just sounds stupid that I can't access my data even though I know it's right there, on a healthy partition.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

I would recommend recovering from your backup solution; recovering RAID arrays is typically a nightmare and frequently unsuccessful. Save yourself a gigantic headache.

Feb 23, 2024
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Holy crap, I fixed it, I'm so happy.

Context for those with the same problem :
- I gave up the idea of trying to recover the data as I didn't want to mess up the RAID configuration, since both drives were functional (just separated)
- However, I discovered that my current motherboard is not the same one as the one I used to create the RAID1 array. In the old one, I used the RAID configuration menu (that you access with CTRL+R on boot), and on my new Asus X470, it works with the RaidXpert2 software + the AMD RAID Software.
- Just plugging both drives and booting in RAID mode didn't work. But after installing the RAID drivers from the manufacturer's website, my drive magically appeared in Windows!!

Thanks so much and have a lovely day!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Glad to hear everything's working! A proper backup -- RAID is not a backup solution, it's an availability solution -- would make these situations a lot less stressful (unless you did in fact already have one).