[SOLVED] I switched from Intel to AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I upgraded from a Intel 4690k to a AMD 3700x today. The only things I used from my old system was the graphics card and the SSD and HDD. I noticed when I booted up I didnt get a chance to reinstall windows but it booted up back into my old desktop. After some driver updates and several restarts my system seems to be running normal. I even played some games on even higher settings than I could ever have done on my old machine. Is there anything I should be on the look out for leaving my system the way it is without reinstalling windows?

Solution
I upgraded from a Intel 4690k to a AMD 3700x today. The only things I used from my old system was the graphics card and the SSD and HDD. I noticed when I booted up I didnt get a chance to reinstall windows but it booted up back into my old desktop. After some driver updates and several restarts my system seems to be running normal. I even played some games on even higher settings than I could ever have done on my old machine. Is there anything I should be on the look out for leaving my system the way it is without reinstalling windows?
This isn't exactly the same situation, but I've been using the same Windows 7 Ultimate installation since 2012 and have gone through three different motherboard and three different install drives...
Yes of course it booted to your old OS because it's on your old disk. Windows 10 is pretty flexible and can install some or even all new drivers specially when it makes internet connection right away. That doesn't mean you should not at least clean up old drivers from previous setup and install newest ones yourself.
W10 driers from MS are not newest by any means (just safest but elementary and should be updated from AMD site for best performance.
Reinstalling windows + newest drivers is highly recommended.

This isn't exactly the same situation, but I've been using the same Windows 7 Ultimate installation since 2012 and have gone through three different motherboard and three different install drives. Through the years I've had tons of issues that I've managed to fix and it's been a good learning experience for repairing and maintaining Windows. It's just not a good idea to do what I did if you plan to actually use it as your main OS and you should always clean install Windows with a new motherboard. I suppose I've been somewhat lucky when I think about all the issues I've had over the years, but it was mainly for the learning experience.

So if it works without issues, you will probably fine. From my own experience, I recommend you uninstall any programs and drivers specific to the previous motherboard (ideally before swapping hardware), because they tend to cause conflict or still run in the background eating CPU cycles and memory. Sometimes you have to tear into the registry to remove things left over.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
This isn't exactly the same situation, but I've been using the same Windows 7 Ultimate installation since 2012 and have gone through three different motherboard and three different install drives. Through the years I've had tons of issues that I've managed to fix and it's been a good learning experience for repairing and maintaining Windows. It's just not a good idea to do what I did if you plan to actually use it as your main OS and you should always clean install Windows with a new motherboard. I suppose I've been somewhat lucky when I think about all the issues I've had over the years, but it was mainly for the learning experience.

So if it works without issues, you will probably fine. From my own experience, I recommend you uninstall any programs and drivers specific to the previous motherboard (ideally before swapping hardware), because they tend to cause conflict or still run in the background eating CPU cycles and memory. Sometimes you have to tear into the registry to remove things left over.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, sometimes it works sort of.

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thank you all for the input. So far everything has been working fine. I have spent over 8 hours with it doing various tasks I did with my intel computer and I have not noticed any problems yet. I might just keep it this way until a problem crops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.