I think i made my GPU coil whine.

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
My dad accidentally disconnected my psu from my Gpu while the pc was on... I know its stupid.

luckily my gpu diden't break or anything but now it is doing some coil whine which it wasn't doing before. I know coil whine shouldnt be dangerous and its not that bad so i am just grateful nothing else happend. Now im just courious of what could be the cause. What do you think happend those 5-6 sec it was unplugged before i quickly turned off the pc?
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
I don't don't think you did anything to your video card other than stress it slightly. I don't think the coil whine is as a result of this. I know of people who, for example, left a 2nd video card in their system and did not power it. Or yanked power from other peripherals (HDs mostly). Not ideal. And I suppose there is a very small risk attached. I think the coil was likely whining from before but since you did what you did, you got paranoid and hyper-observant.

TLDR
No, and it should be fine.
I don't don't think you did anything to your video card other than stress it slightly. I don't think the coil whine is as a result of this. I know of people who, for example, left a 2nd video card in their system and did not power it. Or yanked power from other peripherals (HDs mostly). Not ideal. And I suppose there is a very small risk attached. I think the coil was likely whining from before but since you did what you did, you got paranoid and hyper-observant.

TLDR
No, and it should be fine.

Solution

ludvigbuskthomasen

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017

Thank you. It turns out that when i plugged the cable in again, it diden't go fully in and it just fell out today and i had to reattach the cable. Now it doesn't do any sound at all

Sounds like you have a new unfortunate hobby :p