[SOLVED] I think my CPU is broken

Feb 13, 2019
So I was playing CSGO as usual and as I was sat down on the chair, took out my phone. I dropped the phone because of my clumsy hands and I heard two hits, and at that moment my PC restarted. The side case wasn't on so it might've hit something inside. I immediately noticed that the boot time slowed down A LOT. When it opened, my cpu usage was at 97-100%, the computer crashed.
I want to add that the CPU didn't have thermal paste on, it's been like this since last year and the cooler wasn't fixed properly. Is applying thermal paste to the CPU going to fix my problem or is it too late?

Solution
Good lord, running a CPU without thermal paste is like running a car without brake pads and just grinding along the rotors. Get proper thermal paste, reinstall the cooler, and see what happens after that.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
These seem like 2-3 different issues.

1. No thermal paste? You should've been throttling the entire time. Hopefully no long-term damage, but the only way to know would be to get thermal paste on there & see how temps look.2
  2. Your phone dropped inside the case? Given where you dropped in, it's entirely possible it damaged something. What are you system specs? SSD or HDD? If an HDD and the phone might've hit it, you may have shocked the drive.
  3. CPU usage should not shoot up from damage..... Temps & throttling are almost guaranteed with no TIM on there, but actual usage, not so much.

Feb 13, 2019
These seem like 2-3 different issues.

1. No thermal paste? You should've been throttling the entire time. Hopefully no long-term damage, but the only way to know would be to get thermal paste on there & see how temps look.2
  2. Your phone dropped inside the case? Given where you dropped in, it's entirely possible it damaged something. What are you system specs? SSD or HDD? If an HDD and the phone might've hit it, you may have shocked the drive.
  3. CPU usage should not shoot up from damage..... Temps & throttling are almost guaranteed with no TIM on there, but actual usage, not so much.
Found my phone outside the case, the HDD is in good condition.
My CPU is not going under 60 degrees, and it's staying at 80 even 98 degrees. Checked it some time ago before this. Right now I can't use the computer, because as soon as I start it, I just get an instant bluescreen.

Feb 15, 2019
Found my phone outside the case, the HDD is in good condition.
My CPU is not going under 60 degrees, and it's staying at 80 even 98 degrees. Checked it some time ago before this. Right now I can't use the computer, because as soon as I start it, I just get an instant bluescreen.
I think its a problem with your gpu. I had the same problem with mine, also bluescreen issue, I replaced my gpu with an older one and the pc ran fine.