Question I think my PC got attacked by a bug ( a literal bug ) please help

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Guys i have a question and sorry but its a strange one. is it possible a damaged gpu or psu can still play games relatively okay but experience stutters? This morning my PC started smoking and making a bunch of noise around the power supply and or gpu area and i instantly cut it off and investigated to find a dead bug that looks to have been freshly electrocuted and chopped by fans, i took everything apart and cleaned and inspected to see if there was any damage, i didnt see any so i plugged everything back and its working like normal but im experiencing a few semi frequent stutters in the game ive been playing without any issues the past month. Really dont know what caused the smoke tbh it could have been the power supply as i smell almost a burnt smell coming from it after the first few mins of powering it back on. Im not comfortable taking the card apart to reveal any damage and definitely not the power supply as i just bought it and its under warranty.

Ralston18

Titan
If the power was suddenly cut then one thing to consider is that some file corruption occurred.

Run "dism" and "sfc /scannow" as an initial effort to find and fix any problem files.

Primarily as a matter of elimination if anything.

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

= = = =

You are not the first to have computer problems related to insects.

As a matter historical reference - look up/google where the phrase "debugging" originated.

Hint: Rear Admiral Grace Hopper.

:)

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."
^^^
Seems like it did find corrupt files and supposedly fixed them, having a hard time thinking about how this could cause stuttering in games but its worth a shot i suppose. i also uninstalled my gpu drivers and reinstalled them. ill give it a try now.

Where exactly did you find the bug in your system? Do you think the smoke was coming from the electrocuted bug, or from one of the PC components (i.e. PSU or graphics card) resulting from the bug causing a short? If you believe the smoke was coming directly from the power supply unit, then the obvious course of action would be to replace it.

Sep 30, 2024
if your power supply isn't providing enough power to your components, it can cause performance issues like stuttering and input lag. I'd recommend you to check into both causes and see if any changes you can do helps fix the issue, change the psu

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Where exactly did you find the bug in your system? Do you think the smoke was coming from the electrocuted bug, or from one of the PC components (i.e. PSU or graphics card) resulting from the bug causing a short? If you believe the smoke was coming directly from the power supply unit, then the obvious course of action would be to replace it.
Its a 750w 80+ gold psu from MSI
if your power supply isn't providing enough power to your components, it can cause performance issues like stuttering and input lag. I'd recommend you to check into both causes and see if any changes you can do helps fix the issue, change the psu
Ive had power supplys fail before and they dont really have an effect on performace. They either work or dont work from my experience or BSOD . i checked out the inside of it and didnt really see anything besides a small amount of dust which i cleaned and my GPU is pulling about 200W when gaming getting really good temps. something to note ive only really tried RDR2 and i dont get the stutters when im out in the wilderness its butter smooth locked at 75fps ultra settings 1080p with vsync but whenever i enter a town the stuttering starts which makes me think its a game issue but im so confused bc it wasnt doing this before

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
sorry i somehow switched the replies around.
Im thinking when i unplugged my rig it may have corrupted some drivers and or windows files, i didnt even try to play anything after it happened. after disassembling my rig partially and cleaning i went straight to downloading the latest amd driver bc it needed to be updated anyway, i used DDU to do a clean install and also after i realized the game was stuttering i updated the chipset drivers to no improvment. i haven't tried reseating my GPU yet cause its obviously working and i dont think a badly seated gpu can cause performance problems, i would imagine it would just fail to turn on or only use 3.0 4x. Either files are corrupted or a memory chip on the card got damaged?? or could it just be red dead redemption just being unoptimized? Is there anything i can use to benchmark my GPU and show you guys the 1% lows?

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Also the burnt smell i smelled didnt really smell electronic or platic/rubber burning, it was kindof like an organic nasty smell ( which could have been AMD's eco friendly Editable ricecake pcb)or the bug, it was a pretty sizeable beetle