Discussion I tried 1usmus clocktuner - CTR

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Earlier today 1usmus released his new tool for overclocking Zen 2 CPUs, I tried it on my 3700x and it did wonders, my CB20 went from ~4750 to ~4970, it actually overclocked my chip to 4.2Ghz for CCX1 and 4.175Ghz for CCX2 at 1.275V which is the SVI2 TFN so I think it is safe, temps didn't change which is great, and the best part is it is energy efficient!

Please note that previously I failed to overclock my chip to 4.2Ghz all cores, it was not stable even at 1.375V.

So did anyone tried it yet? How was your experience?

Earlier today 1usmus released his new tool for overclocking Zen 2 CPUs, I tried it on my 3700x and it did wonders, my CB20 went from ~4750 to ~4970, it actually overclocked my chip to 4.2Ghz for CCX1 and 4.175Ghz for CCX2 at 1.275V which is the SVI2 TFN so I think it is safe, temps didn't change which is great, and the best part is it is energy efficient!

Please note that previously I failed to overclock my chip to 4.2Ghz all cores, it was not stable even at 1.375V.

So did anyone tried it yet? How was your experience?
FYI....without a fixed voltage/frequency overclock I get CB20 MT scores of 5140-5160, and just as importantly ST scores 510-513. I have a 3700X and yes, I'm using PBO.

1.275V is probably safe as a fixed voltage, so when mine is running at 1.25-1.275V during a CB20 MT run I guess that's got to be even better?

Point is: you're just hurting performance when not leaving it in AUTO to let the algorithm keep the processor SAFE and using PBO to get optimum boosting performance.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
FYI....without a fixed voltage/frequency overclock I get CB20 MT scores of 5140-5160, and just as importantly ST scores 510-513. I have a 3700X and yes, I'm using PBO.

1.275V is probably safe as a fixed voltage, so when mine is running at 1.25-1.275V during a CB20 MT run I guess that's got to be even better?

Point is: you're just hurting performance when not leaving it in AUTO to let the algorithm keep the processor SAFE and using PBO to get optimum boosting performance.
So I guess you are the proud owner of the best 3700x chip ever made

So I guess you are the proud owner of the best 3700x chip ever made
Not at all, it's early silicon and not nearly as good as the foundry turns out today, with a mature process. I'm only getting 5 cores boosting to 4400, although three will get to 4425, 2 regularly. Recent 3700X owners are getting all 8 cores boosting to 4450-4475 on tweaked PBO.

Really, just try setting up a tweaked PBO and see just how much difference there is to a fixed manual overclock. Just be sure to take a single thread CB20 benchmark to compare that too.

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Not at all, it's early silicon and not nearly as good as the foundry turns out today, with a mature process. I'm only getting 5 cores boosting to 4400, although three will get to 4425, 2 regularly. Recent 3700X owners are getting all 8 cores boosting to 4450-4475 on tweaked PBO.

Really, just try setting up a tweaked PBO and see just how much difference there is to a fixed manual overclock. Just be sure to take a single thread CB20 benchmark to compare that too.
Trust me I've been trying since I bought this CPU, the best I could do was 4.1Ghz all cores with tweaked PBO, this was on CB20, in daily tasks I could get 4300 in 3 cores, gaming between 4175-4350 depends on the game

Trust me I've been trying since I bought this CPU, the best I could do was 4.1Ghz all cores with tweaked PBO, this was on CB20, in daily tasks I could get 4300 in 3 cores, gaming between 4175-4350 depends on the game
Do keep in mind that boosting to a max boost clock (or over) is really just a 'feel good' kind of thing as I don't really think it adds materially to performance. So while mine boosts (some cores) to 4425 in light, bursty type tasks it's also doing it's real work, all cores, in 4.1-4.3 Ghz range. That's in a typical video rendering task or a CB20 MT benchmark run.

At 4.1Ghz during the BM it would be a lot like your your fixed OC, but mine will opportunistically boost to as high as 4.3Ghz when core temp and motherboard power margin allows. That's what keeping it in AUTO allows for, and that's why I get higher performance.

Also: how have you set up the system? My recommended keeps it pretty simple and probably what 1Usmus has you doing since I got it from one of his how-to's also. That's install the AMD chipset drivers and use the power plan they give you, then set Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores settings all to ENABLED. Leave core voltage and clock in AUTO.

Now, something I got from Buildzoid (an overclocker who degraded his 3700X with what he thought a safe fixed voltage), some simple set and forget settings for a tweaked PBO overclock. Enable PBO, in Manual mode. Set PPT to 330, EDC and TDC both to 230. Simple and it usually works pretty well for any system.

I set Auto Overboost to +200Mhz (that may not work for your mobo). I also set PBO Scalar to 5x; others say nothing over 1x as it maintains a higher core voltage than necessary which contributes to degradation but I can't see how that's happening. It may be my motherboard's not quite the same.

Last is cooling. Ryzen boosts higher/more frequently when it sees thermal margin, so better than stock cooling is essential. It will also boost less on warm days. That means when it's warm I get lower CB20 scores as it's may never boost above 4250 during a run.

Last edited:
I wont even pretend I know all the ''in's and out's'' of this software and I dont need to overclock but it's always fun to have a play around with these things ;) It's managed to run a stable all core overclock of just over 4.3 at 1.25v and a temp of 58 degrees on my 3600X.

I wont even pretend I know all the ''in's and out's'' of this software and I dont need to overclock but it's always fun to have a play around with these things ;) It's managed to run a stable all core overclock of just over 4.3 at 1.25v and a temp of 58 degrees on my 3600X.
You must have one of the newer 3600X's. The 7nm process seems to have matured wonderfully; I really wish I could simply exchange my 3700X for one with newer silicon. That would probably make for some fun experimenting!

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
What does CTR says about your 3600x sample? Mine is Bronze that is why I'm having trouble boosting beyond 4200 at 1.275v