Question I updated my AB350 Bios and installed a 5600x and now my PC is crashing every few minutes.

Jun 21, 2022
I'm relatively new to computer modifications and but I figured since Gigabyte released the bios support for the 5000 series chipset I would give it a shot. I installed the T52d bios and installed the new CPU with no issues, but now my PC will restart without warning after a few minutes. I was given the code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR once but most of the time it just flashes the blue screen and restarts. I installed Core Temp and it doesn't appear to be correlated with overheating. I saw some people talking about changing the voltage to 1.35 but I'm not sure how to do that with my Bios. Please let me know if there is more information I can provide and where to retreive that information.

Windows 10 Home
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
32.0 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1080 card

Jun 21, 2022
brand and model of the psu?
check cpu temp?

Corsair CX550M
Core Temp reports that the Min. Temp is 47 and the max is 81 after loading and performing startup tasks. Currently at 57 while updating a game.

I will add that it tends to crash more quickly when running chrome intensive tasks like YouTube.

Two things I would try at this stage:

Reflash BIOS

Reset CMOS

The above just to be sure the BIOS flash and CMOS reset had taken. If storing the BIOS image on a flash drive, maybe an idea to try a different flash drive and reflashing.

If after that it still crashes, I'd then be looking to find a spare solid state drive or hard drive, install Windows on it and see if that was stable. Because it sounds to me like your drive may have issues, may even just need a Windows reinstall. Perhaps worth trying that before a different drive. You shouldn't really have to reinstall Windows when upgrading chip, but if it was a 1 or 2 series Ryzen previously, not inconceivable that Windows could take a dump.

Jun 21, 2022
Two things I would try at this stage:

Reflash BIOS

Reset CMOS

The above just to be sure the BIOS flash and CMOS reset had taken. If storing the BIOS image on a flash drive, maybe an idea to try a different flash drive and reflashing.

If after that it still crashes, I'd then be looking to find a spare solid state drive or hard drive, install Windows on it and see if that was stable. Because it sounds to me like your drive may have issues, may even just need a Windows reinstall. Perhaps worth trying that before a different drive. You shouldn't really have to reinstall Windows when upgrading chip, but if it was a 1 or 2 series Ryzen previously, not inconceivable that Windows could take a dump.

Previous CPU was a 1600. I will try and reflash the bios with a different flash drive. I also have a new motherboard I was going to return if the AB350 allowed me to use the 5600x, (as well as a couple SSDs) so I could try and move my other components over to the new hardware, if you think that would help.

The PC is stable enough to download windows - it seems to crash when playing/updating games or using youtube for more than a few minutes. The PC has been running now with just chrome (to read this thread) for about 15 minutes.

Well a new motherboard if you already have it could be useful if you can't fix things as they are, but I'd try all that first. I have a feeling your current board is fine.

What's the brand and model of your power supply? That's important given what you've just said about only being unstable when gaming.

@kerberos_20 I wouldn't normally advise flashing BIOS but given everything that's going on, I'd want to double check that the initial flash went okay. I don't think that's bad advice, although you could argue all the other things should be tried first before flashing BIOS, that I'd understand.

Jun 21, 2022
Well a new motherboard if you already have it could be useful if you can't fix things as they are, but I'd try all that first. I have a feeling your current board is fine.

What's the brand and model of your power supply? That's important given what you've just said about only being unstable when gaming.

@kerberos_20 I wouldn't normally advise flashing BIOS but given everything that's going on, I'd want to double check that the initial flash went okay. I don't think that's bad advice, although you could argue all the other things should be tried first before flashing BIOS, that I'd understand.
It's a Corsair CX550M
edit: and I've been using it with all of the other components for 4-5 years

If you mean the AsRock ab350 pro 4, I currently own one of those, I’m running a ryzen 3600 in it with no issues. When you did the updates, did you do them in order? That board I believe has you install a bridge bios before the last bios, so I don’t think you are supposed to just jump to the latest. At least when I installed my current cpu that’s how it worked. So you ended up flashing the bios 2-3 times before installing.

Jun 21, 2022
If you mean the AsRock ab350 pro 4, I currently own one of those, I’m running a ryzen 3600 in it with no issues. When you did the updates, did you do them in order? That board I believe has you install a bridge bios before the last bios, so I don’t think you are supposed to just jump to the latest. At least when I installed my current cpu that’s how it worked. So you ended up flashing the bios 2-3 times before installing.
It's a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. I was running the same bios from when I bought it (2017/18) and updated to one of the most recent ones. I think the PC is stable enough to flash the bios, it only tends to shut down when playing/updating games or on sites like YouTube.

So was this essentially a 'reflash BIOS, swap CPU, reboot with original OS/chipset/CPU drivers, and hope for the best'?
(At a bare minimum, I'd go to device mngr, delete the CPU and chipset, and then hit reset, and let the new hardware be redetected.

If that fails...

As a full reinstall (delete partitions, quick format/reinstall) can be done in 3-4 minutes these days, that might solve it quickly anyway.

Jun 21, 2022
So was this essentially a 'reflash BIOS, swap CPU, reboot with original OS/chipset/CPU drivers, and hope for the best'?
(At a bare minimum, I'd go to device mngr, delete the CPU and chipset, and then hit reset, and let the new hardware be redetected.

If that fails...

As a full reinstall (delete partitions, quick format/reinstall) can be done in 3-4 minutes these days, that might solve it quickly anyway.
I had done some research and consulted a friend and came to the conclusion that you summarized above...

I deleted the CPU from the device manager (there were like 8 of them) and the PC restarted to finish the uninstall. It then recognized it once again. No changes in the stability. Launching games or Ryzen master causes the PC to reboot.

Not sure what the 'full reinstall' you are referring to entails, could you explain? I'm pretty new to this.

It's a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. I was running the same bios from when I bought it (2017/18) and updated to one of the most recent ones. I think the PC is stable enough to flash the bios, it only tends to shut down when playing/updating games or on sites like YouTube.
looking at your mainboard bios updates, since 2017 on few bios updates are some notes:
bios F25 (from 2019) - Note: Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before update this BIOS.
bios F30 - Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before update this BIOS.
you could probably skip those notes as old chipset ver would just prent your windows to boot
but
bios F40 -
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0606.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

here on this step F31 had to be installed before F40 which includes any later bios updates aswell
so you might want to go back a little
reflash to F31, then run EC FW tool, update to F41, then you can update to F5x

Jun 21, 2022
Update:
I'm still getting a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR; None of the following items have helped: I have reinstalled windows. I uninstalled and reinstalled the CPU in the device manager and downloaded the chipset. I can't find any drivers for the Ryzen 5 5600x, instead, the AMD site leads me to the Ryzen master application. I refastened the power supply cables. My next step will be to use my other PC's power supply and try to run some games to see if it still blue screens. I'm not sure if I can flash back to the older bios with this processor installed, since the only version that supports it is the version I'm on.