[SOLVED] I want a real solution to low mic volume in windows 10

Jul 31, 2021
Hello,
I am looking for anyone who has a real solution to fixing a low mic volume input in windows 10.. I have a b450 steel legend mobo and a decent headset.. everything used to work awesome and then a windows update just screwed it all up.. i have uninstalled every update.. it wont fix it.. i have removed the realtek driver because a lot of people say that will fix it and switched to the high definition audio from windows 10 and it doesnt help.. I don't want the solution telling me to put my boost all the way up .. yeah it helps but then my mic sounds like crap and i still sound like im talking from super far away down a hallway.. I am not using any sound enhancements.. i have googled this for months now and nobody seems to have a real answer even though it looks like tons of people have the same issues.. why did windows break my mic input settings? how do i get it to work again like it used to?

Solution
D
i get what your saying and i feel like it is a driver issue but when i look it up online it tells me that the driver i need is the realtek high definition player and that doesnt work
And I’ve been through this myself and I’m here to tell you you want what shipped with your motherboard so go to the manufacturer of your PC or motherboard and download the exact driver package that they recommend. I’ve been through this 1 million times and this is what it is. It’s a driver issue and you don’t want the latest driver

Let me add this, for maximum stability people should never never never ever update drivers unless there is a reason to do so such as fixing a bug that you are having and that’s about it

Turn off windows ability to...
Jul 31, 2021
Hello,
I am looking for anyone who has a real solution to fixing a low mic volume input in windows 10.. I have a b450 steel legend mobo and a decent headset.. everything used to work awesome and then a windows update just screwed it all up.. i have uninstalled every update.. it wont fix it.. i have removed the realtek driver because a lot of people say that will fix it and switched to the high definition audio from windows 10 and it doesnt help.. I don't want the solution telling me to put my boost all the way up .. yeah it helps but then my mic sounds like crap and i still sound like im talking from super far away down a hallway.. I am not using any sound enhancements.. i have googled this for months now and nobody seems to have a real answer even though it looks like tons of people have the same issues.. why did windows break my mic input settings? how do i get it to work again like it used to?

D

Deleted member 14196

Install the exact version of the audio drivers that came with your motherboard. This is very common. you want the older version that shipped with your motherboard. I recommend saving it off because the next time you install windows from scratch you’re going to need this exact version and don’t let Windows update your drivers

Jul 31, 2021
Install the exact version of the audio drivers that came with your motherboard. This is very common. you want the older version that shipped with your motherboard. I recommend saving it off because the next time you install windows from scratch you’re going to need this exact version and don’t let Windows update your drivers
the realteak high definition audio driver doesnt fix the problem

Jul 31, 2021
i get what your saying and i feel like it is a driver issue but when i look it up online it tells me that the driver i need is the realtek high definition player and that doesnt work

D

Deleted member 14196

And I’ve been through this myself and I’m here to tell you you want what shipped with your motherboard so go to the manufacturer of your PC or motherboard and download the exact driver package that they recommend. I’ve been through this 1 million times and this is what it is. It’s a driver issue and you don’t want the latest driver

Let me add this, for maximum stability people should never never never ever update drivers unless there is a reason to do so such as fixing a bug that you are having and that’s about it

Turn off windows ability to update drivers and once you get your drivers all set leave them alone and your PC will be fast and nice

Solution
Jul 31, 2021

so how do i find out what driver was installed when it shipped?? the asrock website only shows me the realtek driver ASRock > B450 Steel Legend

Jul 31, 2021
nope the realtek driver was the correct driver that originally came with the mobo and it doesnt work.... using boost is a <Mod Edit> solution ... i also noticed it doesnt detect my 4 header headset as being both a mic and a headphone. there has to be a solution to this and what is causing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2021
i have a y splitter and that doessnt help.. it creates a situation where any sound that would play through my headphones is automatically looped to my mic input and it creates an instant feedback loop.. this is all on top of my mic sounding like <Mod Edit> because i have to use boost to even hear my voice

<Moderator Warning: 2nd profanity violation in less than 5 minutes. Next one gets some time off.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2021
ugh... this sucks... feels like i got this great mobo that has the potential for high quality audio and windows 10 broke it completely.... cant find a single solution anywhere on the web or in forums

Ralston18

Titan
Drivers do matter and it may simply narrow down to a driver issue.

However, there are other considerations:

Make and model headphones and mic?

Splitter: what did you purchase? How/where is it installed?

What motherboard ports are you using? Front/back? I/O panel, audio card?

Try other known working audio ports.

Have you tried the headphones and mic on another known working audio device?

Have you tried other known working headphones and mic on your computer?

Determine if the volume problem follows the headset and microphone or stays with your computer.

Test with and without the splitter being involved.

Have you run the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

It could also be related to the audio pinouts (TR, TRS, TRRS).

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

= = = =

And, as you have been warned, forgo the profanity. This is a family friendly forum.