Question I want the fastest possible Intel CPU with a minimum of 8 cores speed more important than # of cores

jpotter0

Honorable
Jul 17, 2017
I do serious scientific number crunching. One program is limited to 10 threads by licensing. The cost for more threads is not worth it because parts of the program are limited to a single thread so the return on investment is small. The other program I run will run with an unknown number of threads with almost proportional calculation time improvement. Right now I have an I7-7820X processor and it will use all 16 threads with this program.

I also do SolidWorks design, so I will be using a video card like the Nvidia K4000, which is what I have now.

I built the existing system from components in February 2018. My main goal is to increase my RAM from 128 GB to 256 GB, but I will need a new motherboard and thought I should look into what fast processors are available now.
I am looking to upgrade my RAM from 128 GB to 256 GB, so I need a recommendation for a Motherboard that can handle this much RAM.

Your problem is going to be the requirement for 256gb of ram.
You are looking at server motherboards if you need more than 128gb of ram.

Unfortunately, processors for those motherboards will not have the highest of clock rates.

The fastest clock rates will come from a well binned 9th gen intel 8 core i7-9700K or possibly i9-9900K
Silicon lottery bins such processors and sells the best samples for a price premium.
Here is one example of a 9700K @5.2
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/9700k52g?variant=19463703101526

jpotter0

Honorable
Jul 17, 2017
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will evaluate them when I get a chance but right now I'm about to leave for my granddaughter's graduation from NM Tech, BSME with highest honors!