Question I want to backup my old ssd to a new one. I can't afford much do I use veeam or windows backup?

Oct 5, 2024
I wanna move the contents of my old failing ssd to my new one. I tried cloning at first but after a week and half of trial and error I gave up. Doing a fresh install now. I want to keep my programs and data and initially was planning to use windows backup. But I did some research and it apparently isn't reliable? So I'm wondering about veeam. Can I use cloud storage and restore? Will it restore the things I want it to? I especially want to restore omen gaming hub, discord and steam. Will my passwords be saved with either? What about my app data? I would appreciate the help and advice. Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
I wanna move the contents of my old failing ssd to my new one. I tried cloning at first but after a week and half of trial and error I gave up. Doing a fresh install now. I want to keep my programs and data and initially was planning to use windows backup. But I did some research and it apparently isn't reliable? So I'm wondering about veeam. Can I use cloud storage and restore? Will it restore the things I want it to? I especially want to restore omen gaming hub, discord and steam. Will my passwords be saved with either? What about my app data? I would appreciate the help and advice. Thank you
You can't move the "programs" like this.

Your data, sure.
Assuming the old failing drive is still semi readable, connect it either internally or externally via USB.
Locate and copy your personal files to the new OS drive.

You can't split off just the applications to apply to a new OS.

Steam games, maybe.

All this, of course, depends on the readability of your old failing drive.
Given that your cloning attempts failed, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Oct 5, 2024
You can't move the "programs" like this.

Your data, sure.
Assuming the old failing drive is still semi readable, connect it either internally or externally via USB.
Locate and copy your personal files to the new OS drive.

You can't split off just the applications to apply to a new OS.

Steam games, maybe.

All this, of course, depends on the readability of your old failing drive.
Given that your cloning attempts failed, I wouldn't hold out much s
So it's impossible to move programs and dlls? I was kinda hoping I could back those up at least and restore them to the new ssd using a cloud storage

Oct 5, 2024
When an application is installed, it makes dozens or hundreds of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
Your new OS knows nothing about those.

Some applications CAN be moved like that, but most, not.
Goodness. Then why does windows backup say it backs up apps as well? Are they just lying? Or is there something I don't know?

USAFRet

Titan
Goodness. Then why does windows backup say it backs up apps as well? Are they just lying? Or is there something I don't know?
That Windows backup does not mean resurrecting pieces (applications) to a whole new OS.
In theory, that windows backup is the whole thing. OS and applications.

In reality, the built in Windows backup is a pretty brain dead thing. Microsoft doesn't even like it.

Oct 5, 2024
That Windows backup does not mean resurrecting pieces (applications) to a whole new OS.
In theory, that windows backup is the whole thing. OS and applications.

In reality, the built in Windows backup is a pretty brain dead thing. Microsoft doesn't even like it.
So long story short. Windows backup is terrible. Veeam won't help restore applications. Restoring applications is virtually impossible without cloning with a few exceptions.
What about restoring my windows profile? And my dlls? Anything I can do about those?

USAFRet

Titan
So long story short. Windows backup is terrible. Veeam won't help restore applications. Restoring applications is virtually impossible without cloning with a few exceptions.
What about restoring my windows profile? And my dlls? Anything I can do about those?
I was following your previous thread.

dlls? Just let it go. Those go with whatever application installed those.
It doesn't sound like your old drive is fully readable. If it was, you could have just done a real clone from old to new.

But...all this could have been avoided with a real, automated, backup routine.

Oct 5, 2024
I was following your previous thread.

dlls? Just let it go. Those go with whatever application installed those.
It doesn't sound like your old drive is fully readable. If it was, you could have just done a real clone from old to new.

But...all this could have been avoided with a real, automated, backup routine.
I see. Thank you for your help