[SOLVED] I want to change my systems gpu but my 200 w psu limits me to do it.

May 17, 2021
I have a prebuilt (LENOVO IdeaCentre 510S-08IKL) with a gt 1030 lp but I want to upgrade it to a gtx 1050 ti. Can I change my PSU with no problems? If yes please recommend me a PSU for my system with at least 300 watts

Solution
Great Value is a brand too, happens to be Walmart house brand. But you still aren't right.

It's a matter of volume. Mass market stuff tends to be of lesser quality, or have a much higher failure % than limited production stuff, regardless of Brand or lack thereof.

The psus made for HP by Seasonic or Delta use the same components, same QC, same everything. Seasonic doesn't buy cheaper components just to put into an OEM psu, that's a ton of extra squ's, less discounts on bulk components etc, they come from the same bins. Seasonic doesn't do sloppy soldering or any less quality of manufacture, just because it's an OEM unit. The only difference is the platforms and circuits inside. You won't get the 80+ nor anything above atx standard...
May 17, 2021
I have a prebuilt (LENOVO IdeaCentre 510S-08IKL) with a gt 1030 lp but I want to upgrade it to a gtx 1050 ti. Can I change my PSU with no problems? If yes please recommend me a PSU for my system with at least 300 watts

The is really good.
Great build quality and 650W will allow you to go even further in terms of upgrades.
The case is also a good pick. Comes with 2 fans on the front, 1 on the back and has cutouts on the front which will allow air to travel through the front of the case, to the back where it will be exhausted by that rear exhaust fan.
Is that affordable?

It's not SFX, it's not TFX, it's proprietary and it's 12V only with 12V standby. You can't replace is with an ATX specified PSU.

The motherboard has the front I/O fixed on the motherboard. When you replace the case for a regular mATX/ATX the front I/O gets unusable.

If you want to add a GPU better than GT 1030 you need to replace the motherboard, case and PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Genuine parts? Phew, that's rough considering everything is made by someone else. Whom do you think makes Corsair psus? FSP? GreatWall? Seasonic? Flextronics? Chicony? CWT? Not Corsair. Not a single unit is actually made by them. And that's the same route almost every vendor takes from the cheapest to most expensive units.

Whom do you think makes OEM psus for the 3rd party vendors like HP, Lenovo etc? Seasonic? GreatWall? Chicony? Delta? FSP? CWT? SuperFlower?

You could consider an FSP psu more Genuine than a branded named psu just based on the fact its a OEM platform using OEM specs, not changed design specs of existing platforms to suit the buyers wants.

Mock the 3rd party OEM psus as you will, but remember that many times those 'junky' psus are quite often far superior to anything you'd list on tier 4 or 5 with a Branded name.

Reactions: --SID--
Genuine parts? Phew, that's rough considering everything is made by someone else. Whom do you think makes Corsair psus? FSP? GreatWall? Seasonic? Flextronics? Chicony? CWT? Not Corsair. Not a single unit is actually made by them. And that's the same route almost every vendor takes from the cheapest to most expensive units.

Whom do you think makes OEM psus for the 3rd party vendors like HP, Lenovo etc? Seasonic? GreatWall? Chicony? Delta? FSP? CWT? SuperFlower?

You could consider an FSP psu more Genuine than a branded named psu just based on the fact its a OEM platform using OEM specs, not changed design specs of existing platforms to suit the buyers wants.

Mock the 3rd party OEM psus as you will, but remember that many times those 'junky' psus are quite often far superior to anything you'd list on tier 4 or 5 with a Branded name.
I'm not talking about stupid gamer labels. I'm talking about manufacturers like Lenovo, Dell, and HP. Those genuine parts pass the qc of the manufactur's specs regardless of who makes it. And because the actual manufacturer doesn't want to gamble with multi-million dollar contracts, they won't be doing shady stuff. 'Compatibles' are whatever quality the true manufacturer wants it to be, which is usually strip out all the good stuff and sell it for 60% of the same price as genuine. It's the same in auto parts--genuine Toytota/Honda/Nissan parts are 10x better than the aftermarket even when made by the same company. Why? Because Toytota/Honda/Nissan specs are higher than the manufacturer's who has to do something (cut corners) to bring the price down. I know this because I used to own a parts distribution warehouse, and it's all the same in every industry around the world--computers are no exception.

So an FSP unit that is sold by them will most definitely not be the same as an FSP unit sold by Lenovo as a genuine Lenovo part.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HP, Dell, Lenovo motherboards are made by Asus normally, but can include Msi and Gigabyte. You can guarantee that the QC of those companies is the same for a Dell board as it is for the top of the line boards, the only difference being what is actually implemented on the board. Asus buys resistors in bulk shipments, you'll find the same resistors on an Extreme as a Lenovo. Asus isn't about to decide to have sloppy stuff done simply because.

Same for FSP. They are OEM, one of the few OEM like GreatWall or Seasonic or SuperFlower or Delta. The quality of work done is the same, unless specified greater by a particular vendor. The components are the same, the only difference being What components are spec'd for a particular platform. If you get a Seasonic or Delta psu in an HP, it's the same as one you'd get aftermarket, sometimes can be better if spec'd as such.

If you get an FSP branded, direct bolt-in, it's the same unit as the Lenovo. No different. The only thing different is the label. It means Lenovo ordered 100k of those units, but somewhere FSP had extra, might have had to buy 250k in bulk shells, so makes another 150k of the same unit and sells under their own brand after selling Lenovo theirs.

HP, Dell, Lenovo motherboards are made by Asus normally, but can include Msi and Gigabyte. You can guarantee that the QC of those companies is the same for a Dell board as it is for the top of the line boards, the only difference being what is actually implemented on the board. Asus buys resistors in bulk shipments, you'll find the same resistors on an Extreme as a Lenovo. Asus isn't about to decide to have sloppy stuff done simply because.

Same for FSP. They are OEM, one of the few OEM like GreatWall or Seasonic or SuperFlower or Delta. The quality of work done is the same, unless specified greater by a particular vendor. The components are the same, the only difference being What components are spec'd for a particular platform. If you get a Seasonic or Delta psu in an HP, it's the same as one you'd get aftermarket, sometimes can be better if spec'd as such.

If you get an FSP branded, direct bolt-in, it's the same unit as the Lenovo. No different. The only thing different is the label. It means Lenovo ordered 100k of those units, but somewhere FSP had extra, might have had to buy 250k in bulk shells, so makes another 150k of the same unit and sells under their own brand after selling Lenovo theirs.
You are absolutely, 100% wrong. You don't know much about how all this works from the backend and don't want to listen to someone who's seen it, been in it, and sold it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Arguing about OEM PCs again are we?

I still have the same old arguments about OEM PSUs and hardware. Sure they meet a standard, but what is it? Last until the warranty expires, any more and they would be overspending. I've had them all blow up on me when I ran a software testing lab for about 5 years. Lenovo, Dell, and the occasional HP (That is whole story about them backing out on supplying us with laptops)

Some would run for years without fail. Just luck of the component lottery.

You left out Foxconn, they make a good chunk of Dell's stuff at least. And run their assembly facilities. (So they can put Assembled in the USA on them in the case of the US, though I think the first wave of desktops we got was from Mexico)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are absolutely, 100% wrong. You don't know much about how all this works from the backend and don't want to listen to someone who's seen it, been in it, and sold it.
I used to custom build pc's for a small shop, do repairs, upgrades, all the standard pc shop stuff. I've been around this business and tinkering inside pc's with hardware and mods for 40 years. I've messed with everything from Apple II's to Mackintosh, Tandy to Via chipsets, Dos to Windows platforms and remember when an AT tower was a marvelous innovation from the desktop that the 15" 30lb CRT sat on. All that when the monitor power cable went to the psu as well.

Do ya think that possibly qualifies as someone who has seen it, been in it, and sold it?

So I guess you know where that 100% belongs, instead you tell me who builds HP mobo's. Oh, it's Asus mostly btw, who builds HP psus, oh, Seasonic, Delta, FSP, GreatWall.

And yes, Foxconn does build a good chunk of Dell mobo's, but Dell is oddball anyways in a lot of stuff, it's kind of model depending and Foxconn is a massive electronics Corp in its own right, has its nose everywhere.

Arguing about OEM PCs again are we?

I still have the same old arguments about OEM PSUs and hardware. Sure they meet a standard, but what is it? Last until the warranty expires, any more and they would be overspending. I've had them all blow up on me when I ran a software testing lab for about 5 years. Lenovo, Dell, and the occasional HP (That is whole story about them backing out on supplying us with laptops)

Some would run for years without fail. Just luck of the component lottery.

You left out Foxconn, they make a good chunk of Dell's stuff at least. And run their assembly facilities. (So they can put Assembled in the USA on them in the case of the US, though I think the first wave of desktops we got was from Mexico)
That may be the case today, but I still have Dells that are 10yrs+ on the same original power supply, and that's after unsupported upgrades too, like a x3220 and a 9500gt. Still running well...for now. But well past a design life of 3 years.

I used to custom build pc's for a small shop, do repairs, upgrades, all the standard pc shop stuff. I've been around this business and tinkering inside pc's with hardware and mods for 40 years. I've messed with everything from Apple II's to Mackintosh, Tandy to Via chipsets, Dos to Windows platforms and remember when an AT tower was a marvelous innovation from the desktop that the 15" 30lb CRT sat on. All that when the monitor power cable went to the psu as well.

Do ya think that possibly qualifies as someone who has seen it, been in it, and sold it?

So I guess you know where that 100% belongs, instead you tell me who builds HP mobo's. Oh, it's Asus mostly btw, who builds HP psus, oh, Seasonic, Delta, FSP, GreatWall.

And yes, Foxconn does build a good chunk of Dell mobo's, but Dell is oddball anyways in a lot of stuff, it's kind of model depending and Foxconn is a massive electronics Corp in its own right, has its nose everywhere.
The problem is you saw the industry when it was young and not what it is today. I saw all that too as I've been in PCs since 1988 and computers even longer.

My point is that in EVERY industry that has an aftermarket parts industry, even if it is the same oem making the aftermarket part, it's not the same part as the branded one--there ARE different qc specs. Hence why 'great value' bathroom cleaner is a great ripoff even when it costs almost as much as the real scrubbling bubbles brand--it's subpar. And this is for cars, computers, and a lot more in this world.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Great Value is a brand too, happens to be Walmart house brand. But you still aren't right.

It's a matter of volume. Mass market stuff tends to be of lesser quality, or have a much higher failure % than limited production stuff, regardless of Brand or lack thereof.

The psus made for HP by Seasonic or Delta use the same components, same QC, same everything. Seasonic doesn't buy cheaper components just to put into an OEM psu, that's a ton of extra squ's, less discounts on bulk components etc, they come from the same bins. Seasonic doesn't do sloppy soldering or any less quality of manufacture, just because it's an OEM unit. The only difference is the platforms and circuits inside. You won't get the 80+ nor anything above atx standard protections but what circuitry is inside will have the same caps, same diodes, same resistors, same solder and wires etc.

FSP happens to have some poorly designed platforms, but many times the OEM spec'd platforms are considerably better than FSP branded. Same thing for many, like SuperFlower and HEC/Compucase.

Just because it's 'Branded' doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
FSP is OEM for BeQuiet, you tell me which is better, the Original or the Aftermarket.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS