Question I want to scan a hard copy to a file then fax it.....

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @punkncat

I suggest that you write out your own procedure based on your available hardware and knowledge of the software (scanning, filing, faxing) available for that hardware. What are your system specs and what hardware do you have available? Multi-function printer (printer, copier, scanner, fax) - make and model?

Post that procedure along with whatever else you are doing or need to do in more detail, And include what problems, if any, are occurring.

Actually this question appears to be a homework question. The question may not be homework but there is no way to really know from this end of things.

Show your work and ask specific questions.

Reactions: punkncat

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wish. While signed PDFs have taken the place of a lot of stuff, doctors, lawyers, and government still love their faxes. Often times the only acceptable document form because it is legally treated as a copy of the original vs a digitally duplicated files (even though they both are digital at one point)

Most multifunction printer/scanners still have fax capability, you just need to have the destination phone number and a phone line of your own. This being the modern era, the phone line is usually the issue.

Online fax services exist as has been mentioned. There are still enterprise grade softwares for this as well, but well outside the logical cost of an individual.

You can also go to any store that offers printing services, they often will have fax services. I think in the US that would places like Office Max and UPS stores.

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
It sounds like you guys would be fun to have a beer with.
My problem is this: My current printer has no "print to file" function.
1. You scan the document with your scanner and save it as a file.

2. You put the document into your fax and dial the number you want to fax it to.
1. That part is done
2. I don't have a fax anymore but my local library does. Either that or an online service should work.

It sounds like you guys would be fun to have a beer with.
My problem is this: My current printer has no "print to file" function.

1. That part is done
2. I don't have a fax anymore but my local library does. Either that or an online service should work.
The simplest answer is ask the online service. I've used gotfreefax.com and fax.plus and both allow you to just upload the file you created with your scanner and send it as a fax. They provide help files if you have any problem with the files you want to upload. Usually if I need to fax I print out my file to .pdf and send that through their service. You will need to install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer to enable the print to .pdf option. Its free and you can go the the Adobe website, go all the way down to the bottom of the webpage and you'll see the free version there.

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
The simplest answer is ask the online service. I've used gotfreefax.com and fax.plus and both allow you to just upload the file you created with your scanner and send it as a fax. They provide help files if you have any problem with the files you want to upload. Usually if I need to fax I print out my file to .pdf and send that through their service. You will need to install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer to enable the print to .pdf option. Its free and you can go the the Adobe website, go all the way down to the bottom of the webpage and you'll see the free version there.
Occam's Razor: The simplest answer is usually the best. Thank you!

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Tried that. Looks very simple and I AM very simple minded myself, which is why it's actually harder for me to understand. Seems this is a holdover from Vista or XP, or some such. Anyway, I found a service online that looks promising. Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the couple times i have had to fax something i just go to the local UPS store (or other similar place) and pay them the $2 to fax it for me. considering how rarely i need to fax something it's just easier than trying to find a permanent solution i might use again in 2 more years.