Question I want to upgrade my CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, not sure which one to get

Jul 22, 2024
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard - Asrock B450M/ac
GPU - AMD Rx580

I want to upgrade my system. I currently have a Ryzen 7 2700x but I am not sure the max cpu I can install with my motherboard. I have a Geforce RTX 3060ti to install and I recently upped the RAM to 64gb ddr4 3200.
What is the best cpu that will work with this motherboard?

Ryzen 5000 series is the latest you can install (with a BIOS update.) Update the BIOS before installing a new CPU.

The Ryzen 7 5700X is typically the best bang-for-your-buck on AM4 (it's currently on sale for $160 and is in the same ballpark for gaming performance as the higher priced CPUs on AM4), and sometimes the 5700X3D is on sale for a similar price and offers 3D V-Cache for an extra perk. I would prefer the X3D myself, but it is game/application dependent on when you can take advantage of the 3D V-Cache.

There are faster CPUs with more cores, but their price difference compared to their gaming performance is marginal. Btw, what do you plan to do with this PC? If you are simply not gaming and need more cores, then there are other options.

*Update: I know you asked for "best"; my best CPU includes the best price + performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

kanewolf

Titan
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard - Asrock B450M/ac
GPU - AMD Rx580

I want to upgrade my system. I currently have a Ryzen 7 2700x but I am not sure the max cpu I can install with my motherboard. I have a Geforce RTX 3060ti to install and I recently upped the RAM to 64gb ddr4 3200.
What is the best cpu that will work with this motherboard?
A 5700X is a good choice. It will provide you a Windows 11 supported hardware baseline.