Question I want to upgrade my laptop ram to 20gb. Is it worth it?

Dec 9, 2022
Hello, I have 8GB of RAM right now and want to upgrade it to 20GB, will this 20GB RAM boost affect my gaming experience?
Right now my laptop running a AMD Vega 8 1GB and Radeon 535 2GB paired with an AMD Ryzen 2500u, 64bit Windows 10, and a 1366x768 60Hz.
I'm not aiming to play AAA games, only basic games like fifa, nba, farcry 4, gta v, etc in low-med settings because upgrading 16GB RAM do not have a big difference in price than to 8GB

Hello, I have 8GB of RAM right now and want to upgrade it to 20GB, will this 20GB RAM boost affect my gaming experience?
Right now my laptop running a AMD Vega 8 1GB and Radeon 535 2GB paired with an AMD Ryzen 2500u, 64bit Windows 10, and a 1366x768 60Hz.
I'm not aiming to play AAA games, only basic games like fifa, nba, farcry 4, gta v, etc in low-med settings because upgrading 16GB RAM do not have a big difference in price than to 8GB
Best bet is to buy a new 2x8gb kit or at least try to match what you have. To be honest you're not going to get much more out of that machine.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I don’t think that it’s going to help you get any extra performance. Look at your RAM usage when you’re running games currently, is it being completely used? If so, 16GB might be worth it, especially if you use the laptop for other multitasking purposes such as work or school. Anything higher than that is probably not worth it because of the limitations of the other hardware.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Windows will run better with more ram. 16gb is about the sweet spot.
To see what upgrades are possible, go to crucial and enter the make/model of your laptop.
You will get a list of compatible upgrades.

All of those are AAA games, just older and less demanding ones. I assume you mean 24GB rather than 20GB? In terms of will it boost your gaming experience, if your currently using single channel memory which it looks like you are, then I would expect to see some improvement. How much though is unclear given the GPU is entry level. Windows though runs much better with 16GB of RAM or more particularly if you have a lot open, so in my mind it's still worth getting at least another 8GB even if benefits in games were minimal.