bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the gaming/PC building scene. I am looking to upgrade my PC I bought recently. Here are the specs:

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 850 Propus 45nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel HYPERX DDR3 @ 671MHz (8-8-8-22)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-970A-UD3 (Socket M2)

Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)

Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 ATA Device (SATA )

Power Supply
EVGA 500

I'd love to be able to run Ark and Battlefield 5, amongst other games. I am interested in upgrading the CPU to AMD Ryzen 2700 but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

B

Solution
For newer games you'll need to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM as the Ryzen 2700 wouldn't work on the current motherboard or memory.

Best bang for the buck CPU at the moment, IMO, is the Ryzen 1600 for under $120 online or $80 if you live near a Microcenter. Pairing that with a decent B450 motherboard (around $80) will allow a good overclock and then you'll want to get 2x8gb of DDR4 @3200 as AMD Ryzen performs much better with fast memory. Depending on how old the PSU is and the model it may need to be replaced as well, I hope you didn't pay too much for the system as besides the GPU it's like a 10 year old PC.

WildCard999

Titan
For newer games you'll need to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM as the Ryzen 2700 wouldn't work on the current motherboard or memory.

Best bang for the buck CPU at the moment, IMO, is the Ryzen 1600 for under $120 online or $80 if you live near a Microcenter. Pairing that with a decent B450 motherboard (around $80) will allow a good overclock and then you'll want to get 2x8gb of DDR4 @3200 as AMD Ryzen performs much better with fast memory. Depending on how old the PSU is and the model it may need to be replaced as well, I hope you didn't pay too much for the system as besides the GPU it's like a 10 year old PC.

Reactions: bthelegend
Solution

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019

Fast responses!

I should probably mention I am from the UK but that doesn't change too much suppose.

Just out of curiosity... How much would you value this current build at?

Many thanks for your advice!

WildCard999

Titan
Fast responses!

I should probably mention I am from the UK but that doesn't change too much suppose.

Just out of curiosity... How much would you value this current build at?

Many thanks for your advice!
If I where to buy it and consider it a fair price to both parties it would need to be close to 200 USD (about 180 Euro) because for newer gaming you'll need to replace the CPU/MB/RAM & possibly the PSU depending on model/age which could be another 280 Euro or more and once you get into the 500 Euro range then it's better just to build the system yourself from scratch with new parts and warranties.

Probably picked the wrong currency, whatever is close to roughly $550 USD to what your currency is.

Reactions: bthelegend

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
If I where to buy it and consider it a fair price to both parties it would need to be close to 200 USD (about 180 Euro) because for newer gaming you'll need to replace the CPU/MB/RAM & possibly the PSU depending on model/age which could be another 280 Euro or more and once you get into the 500 Euro range then it's better just to build the system yourself from scratch with new parts and warranties.

Probably picked the wrong currency, whatever is close to roughly $550 USD to what your currency is.
Yeah I've been conned. In £GBP it cost £500 which is roughly $650.

Not sure what to do at this point. Could sell again and see who bites and start a fresh which is what I wanted to do in the first place. Was strongly advised to buy it by friends smh.

WildCard999

Titan
Yeah I've been conned. In £GBP it cost £500 which is roughly $650.

Not sure what to do at this point. Could sell again and see who bites and start a fresh which is what I wanted to do in the first place. Was strongly advised to buy it by friends smh.
Ouch, yea I don't know if it's more beneficial for you to sell it and try to recoup some cash or just sell the CPU/MB/RAM/PSU & upgrade.