Question I was just wondering why is most ddr5 not ecc

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Iv noticed alot of consumer ddr5 doesn't have ecc would be nice to have as I'm always redoing winds an I like the idea of memory fixing errors anyone know of fast ram that has ecc of some form be it parity or chip kill or even better on die ecc

For a lot of years it was used as a segmentation tactic, but once the floor dropped out of the DRAM market it became more of a margins/profits thing. Everyone would likely be better off if all memory was ECC, but costs would go up across the board by a fair amount (my 32GB ECC UDIMMs have 20 memory chips as opposed to the 16 you'd see on non-ECC).

Currently the only high speed ECC memory I'm aware of are RDIMMs intended for Threadripper and Xeon W. There are plenty of ECC UDIMMs available, but to my knowledge these all run JEDEC specifications.

USAFRet

Titan
Iv noticed alot of consumer ddr5 doesn't have ecc would be nice to have as I'm always redoing winds an I like the idea of memory fixing errors anyone know of fast ram that has ecc of some form be it parity or chip kill or even better on die ecc
In the entirety of your personal PC experience, have you ever had a fault that would have been prevented with ECC RAM and you did not have ECC RAM at the time?