I3 8100 vs ryzen 5 2400g

Jan 18, 2019
Upgrade 1 or 2 generations on a Asrock ab350 pro motherboard????

sonicmaniafan

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Intel is better for gaming. So I'd go with the 8100. Though it doesn't make much difference with that graphics card as you'll be more GPU bound anyway. There are a few different ways you can think about this. You could get the cheapest one. You could think about upgradeability. Which would you rather be able to upgrade to? Core i9 9900K or Zen 3 possibly? Zen 2 or Zen 3 will have lots more cores and have better ipc most likely than what intel offers.

Jan 18, 2019

I’m running a 1050ti not a 1030

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH, regardless of what you were going to use it for...I would go with the Ryzen instead. With a B chipset you can OC to well better performance AND the integrated graphics on it are far superior to the integrated on the Intel.
This isn't to say the Intel chip is bad, but the unlocked ability within all the Ryzen is not something to discount at that level.

Jan 18, 2019
Excellent point but does the board support cpu overclocking???i think that’d be my final deciding factor.

Jan 18, 2019
Any thoughts on the ryzen 7 1700x? I’m probably gonna get that instead. Does it have integrated graphics??? I have a 1050ti just in case.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The b350 will support overclocking, it just might not support your 2400 out of the box without a bios update which can be a hassle. And it may not get a bios update for the 3000/4000 ryzen chips down the line.

The 1700x doesn't have integrated graphics.

But I'd get a 2600 and a b450 motherboard before a 1700x and b350 personally.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest to you to do some research on motherboard quality and the VRM and heatsinks on various ones, in relation to the Ryzen 7. There are a lot of really good videos out by "buildozer" I think is his name on youtube and he discusses the quality of, and power delivery of those items with about every Ryzen motherboard out there.

Short version is that almost any B3/450 motherboard will have "enough" to do a Ryzen 3, and probably a 5. The issues particularly start creeping up when you move to the 7 and especially the X models due to the power they are going to require to stay stable.

Something else to mention. If you get a 1xxx of any Ryzen processor, pay close attention to the memory compatibility....there is a name for it that escapes me...within the motherboards website. They were very peculiar and particular about what RAM would work. This was alleviated significantly with the 2xxx series. IF you get a 2xxx make SURE to buy a 4 series chipset/mobo so that it will boot properly.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Well, I would almost assume you are looking at that Newegg ad that had a combo like that, or one of the 'super' stores. If you read the fine print it almost always says they don't guarantee compatibility. They are just bundling things they want gone in most cases.

I know at one point you could get a "boot kit" from AMD that was a loaner chip that would allow you to update BIOS, but for the few dollar difference do you REALLY want to take the proc in and out twice on your new build?