Question i5 11600KF Overheating when doing anything that demands the CPU to work harder

min$er

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
Hello. I recently built a pc [the specs are below], it's about 2 months old now. I have a problem with my CPU temperatures. It overheats, reaching degrees like 100c. For example: Whenever I play more demanding games like Star Citizen or Red Dead 2, my temps would get pretty high. Red Dead would go around 80-86, Star Citizen, depending on the place and time would go around 86-91c, which is just not alright at all. So I tried doing something simple, which i've done with my older PC and experienced nothing like that, of course the older CPU was way less powerful. I tried compressing a video with Handbrake, and oh man, it just suddenly went from a 40c idle to 85, 87, 90, 94, 97, 100. I just alt+f4'd at 100c. For some reason I have to yet see my PC shutdown on it's own when it reaches 100c. But yeah, that's not normal. What I've tried so far : Changed the thermal paste 3 times because i was anxious if I put too little or too much, cleaned with alcohol every time of course. I changed cases. I tried no case. What i had actually done in the beginning of installing the cooler, it turned out I didn't screw the cooler to the maximum, but i could pick up the motherboard by the cooler and It didn't move so i figured it was good enough. I ended up tightening it, carefully, really lightly, until it didn't let me anymore. It has not made a difference. Please help me out, as a teenager I've been dreaming of a decent PC and now that I finally make an income and got a decent PC I can't even use it properly. My personal opinion is that something just might be defective, I'm just not sure exactly what.

The PC parts:
1TB SSD ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro​
2x8GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX​
Deepcool MATREXX 30,​
EVERCOOL EC6010H24EA,​
ASUS PRIME B560M-A​
800W AeroCool VX PLUS​
Intel Core i5-11600KF (3.9GHz)​
ID-COOLING SE-904 XT SLIM​
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 12GB Ventus OC​
The CPU Cooler's TDP rating is 150W as far as I know.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
The only thing that could be blamed for the situation is the CPU cooler. To solve it you can try improve airflow through your system, maybe mount a second fan to the cooler itself or downvolt the CPU. All these things can improve the temps.

min$er

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
The only thing that could be blamed for the situation is the CPU cooler. To solve it you can try improve airflow through your system, maybe mount a second fan to the cooler itself or downvolt the CPU. All these things can improve the temps.
I think the CPU Cooler might be just bad. I think I should just get the Noctua NH D15. I just looked around for reviews of my cooler and the whole cooler just having really small amounts of information about is just straight up fishy. I don't think this is an airflow issue, i think the cooler might be just straight up trash.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I think the CPU Cooler might be just bad. I think I should just get the Noctua NH D15. I just looked around for reviews of my cooler and the whole cooler just having really small amounts of information about is just straight up fishy. I don't think this is an airflow issue, i think the cooler might be just straight up trash.
Possibly, I don’t know the brand or cooler so, it looks like a average model, nothing special. And this intel CPU is a bit toasty.