angurishu

Prominent
Mar 21, 2022
Essentially, I upgraded my GPU from an RX 580 (AMD) to an NVIDIA RTX 4070, used DDU, and cleaned every single possible thing, but for some reason, in most games, specifically Overwatch 2, my CPU usage hovers around 30–40% and my GPU usage is 20–40% on high settings. I'm playing the games in 1080p, and I get around 100 fps, but it's extremely inconsistent and even drops to the low 80's sometimes—on a 4070!

There is definitely something wrong here, and I've tried a lot of things to fix this, such as:
  • Updating the BIOS to the latest version.
  • Reinstalling NVIDIA drivers or rolling them back to older drivers.
  • Making sure the power limit is set to 100% in MSI afterburner.
  • Setting power settings to maximum performance in the control panel and the NVIDIA control panel
  • Clearing CMOS.
  • Windows integrity and health scans (sfc and dism).
  • I'm making sure I'm using 4G decoding or XMP for RAM in the bios.
  • Reseating the card itself.
But nothing seems to really help. My temps are amazing, 50–60 °C on both CPU and GPU; I know that it's definitely not a CPU bottleneck considering the benchmarks I saw on youtube, at least not to the point where I won't be able to get 200 fps in Overwatch with medium or high settings. So if anybody knows of a possible fix for this, I'd be really grateful.

PC Specs:
CPU
: i5-12400
GPU: RTX 4070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RS DDR4 3200 (16x2)
MOBO: Gigabyte B660m Gaming AC DDR4
PSU: Corsair RM850x (PSU)
Storage: 256GB Corsair NVME (OS), 1TB Crucial Sata SSD (Games)

Here are the Msinfo32 and DxDiag files, if anybody finds them useful, and a screenshot of my CPU utilization in HWMonitor whilst having Overwatch 2 running in an intense fight:
image.png

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Seeing the RX580 mentioned in your thread above, was the OS/storage carried over from an older build? Speaking of which, what OS are you working with?

Updating the BIOS to the latest version
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Clearing CMOS
Can you elaborate on how you did this?

angurishu

Prominent
Mar 21, 2022
Seeing the RX580 mentioned in your thread above, was the OS/storage carried over from an older build? Speaking of which, what OS are you working with?

Updating the BIOS to the latest version
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Clearing CMOS
Can you elaborate on how you did this?
Hey, thanks for getting back to me! To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the OS was carried over as I currently need the files on the OS drive for work-related reasons from the previous build. The only thing I did was use DDU before switching cards. And I'm on Windows 11 (22H2).

2. I updated the bios to the F27 version that's been released, the one right before the latest one. I didn't update to the latest latest one as it said "beta build" and, idk, I thought it would give me issues.
image.png

3. I did it twice, actually. I cleared the cmos with a screwdriver holding over the CLR_CMOS pins on the motherboard earlier in the morning, and after a while at night, I did it again, but this time removing the cmos battery and putting it back in after a few seconds.

angurishu

Prominent
Mar 21, 2022
I kind of resolved this issue, and the solution for me was either one of these:
  • Using DDU again to wipe the drivers and then rolling back to a slightly older version of the drivers.
  • Completely getting rid of my motherboard's (gigabyte) software using Revo Uninstaller with a moderate scan to get rid of the remaining files and keys.
  • Redid SFC and DISM scans after reinstalling GPU drivers.
  • Set every possible thing to performance mode in GPU & and Windows settings.

angurishu

Prominent
Mar 21, 2022
I take back what I previously said lol. The reason for this issue is a CPU bottleneck for the 4070. All the benchmarks I watched that were utilizing the GPU properly were all 1440P, and I play at 1080P. I have to either get a CPU upgrade or a monitor upgrade.