Question i5-13600KF acceptable temperature with custom loop

Apr 10, 2024
Hi everyone,

I recently built a custom loop with a byski 360mm copper radiator with a thickness off 30mm and wanted to know what the acceptable temperatures are for a i5-13600KF.

My PC specs:

i5-13600KF
PNY DDR5 2x16GB 6000 MAKO (XMP enabled)
MSI Z790 Gaming Pro WiFi
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (air cooled)
Corsair RM1000X

I already undervolted the cpu with LLC set at 4, and a negative voltage offset on the cpu core voltage.

When using prime95 small FFT with AVX im getting around 80C on my processor at 1.170v (~170W) with a ambient temperature of 22C. I feel like this is quite hot for a custom loop or am i wrong? I already tried reseating and repasting but it did not help at all. I can’t check water temp because i do not have a sensor for it but the reservoir does not feel hot to touch.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You didn't mention the block or pump, so can't really judge anything based on just the radiator size. Under a benchmark, seems fine. Only so much surface area to get rid of the heat.

Are you experiencing any high temperatures during normal use?

Apr 10, 2024
Thank you for replying, this is the cpu block and distro plate im using with a integrated pump, RPM is set at 4000:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ATovhnX

the pc works perfectly fine during normal use such as browsing. Max temp is around 36C and at idle 28C. When playing light games temps can spike up to 50 sometimes. Just during prime95 tests it reaches up to 80C max, someone else told me that i only should be getting like 50C with stock settings (no overclock)
You didn't mention the block or pump, so can't really judge anything based on just the radiator size. Under a benchmark, seems fine. Only so much surface area to get rid of the heat.

Are you experiencing any high temperatures during normal use?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you say integrated pump, what kind?

I found an interior shot of that cooler, not that fancy honestly. Just a relatively thin block with machined grooves. Presumably a jet plate, but they didn't go out of their way to focus the cooling fins, they cover the entire chill plate.

I would expect it to have similar performance to high end AIO coolers based on the amount of material used.

Nothing wrong with it though and mid-50s for gaming is about right.

Apr 10, 2024
So i assume that the cpu block is holding everything back? Will getting a better cpu block improve temperatures a lot?

This is the information i found about the pump:

Rated voltage: DC12V
Working noise:<40 decibels
Rated current: 1.4A
Lift: 5-6M
Maximum speed: 4000RPM
Rated power: 17W
Flow rate: 960L/H
Life:>50000H
DC17-SDB

I found an interior shot of that cooler, not that fancy honestly. Just a relatively thin block with machined grooves. Presumably a jet plate, but they didn't go out of their way to focus the cooling fins, they cover the entire chill plate.

I would expect it to have similar performance to high end AIO coolers based on the amount of material used.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see the point. You aren't going to gain any performance lowering the temperate even 10C, maybe if you then proceeded to try boosting the clocks up a notch. If it is going full speed at 80C then you still even have some headroom for overclocking now. Just depends what you are comfortable with. I would only consider it if you planned to have the CPU running a full load all the time, and then I would question why you don't have 13900k/14900k.

I'm using a 10+ year old block on my CPU and it gets the job done on my 12700KF. Should fit LGA1816 too, so I may just keep on using it if Intel's next series of chips is worth having. I would have to replace it I think for AM5, though maybe I could get it to fit too. Slightly better design then what you have there, with cross cut machined fins and actual spots for water return and presumably excess turbulence.

You might also experiment with reducing the pump speed Faster is only better to a point and you might be able to really extend the life of the pump by slowing it down. With only the CPU in the loop, shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the water moving.

Apr 10, 2024
Well i was planning to overclock it but i will leave it as it is now. Getting a better water block for it would just be a waste of money. Anyway, thank you for helping me out!
I don't see the point. You aren't going to gain any performance lowering the temperate even 10C, maybe if you then proceeded to try boosting the clocks up a notch. If it is going full speed at 80C then you still even have some headroom for overclocking now. Just depends what you are comfortable with. I would only consider it if you planned to have the CPU running a full load all the time, and then I would question why you don't have 13900k/14900k.

I'm using a 10+ year old block on my CPU and it gets the job done on my 12700KF. Should fit LGA1816 too, so I may just keep on using it if Intel's next series of chips is worth having. I would have to replace it I think for AM5, though maybe I could get it to fit too. Slightly better design then what you have there, with cross cut machined fins and actual spots for water return and presumably excess turbulence.

You might also experiment with reducing the pump speed Faster is only better to a point and you might be able to really extend the life of the pump by slowing it down. With only the CPU in the loop, shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the water moving.

Apr 10, 2024
Hi, today i decided to take my loop apart and when opening the cpu block i noticed there was some gunk inside but it wasn't that much. The hole from the jet plate where the water flows through looks kinda small to me.

QFrrMZI.jpeg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is actually really wide by comparison to what you generally see. Since there it little depth the jet plate is doing all the flow routing. The reason for the large inlet I assume is the direction of the fins. Water comes in, hits the fins and has little way to go perpendicular to the fins, so that channel in the middle is the only path back to the outlet.

Still, not encouraging to see that level of junk build up already.

TRENDING THREADS