i5 2300 bottleneck 670 SLI

Nick Burke

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
The title pretty much says it all :p

I have an i5 2300 SB (2.8Ghz) on an MSI P67A GD53, 4GB RAM and an 850w PSU.

I have only played BF3 so far and the GPUs were sitting at about 50% usage, never exceeding 60% at 1080p... Needless to say I'm worried having just spent quite a bit on the new GPUs :/

Could there be a bottleneck??

I am waiting for a new DVI cable to try 5760x1080 tomorrow, I will post results to see if theres an improvement :)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replys!

Solution
Hi, yeah the non K i5's had very limited overclocking I believe 200-400MHz past the Turbo Freq. is about max. 3.6 is the highest I have seen. You have to overclock using the BCLK its usually 100MHz but you can try to get it to 105-107ish to get a little boost, be aware raising it too high will cause instability as it is linked to most subsystems. And I know its silly but gotta say the obligatory, make sure you are using the latest BETA Drivers from the Nvidia Webpage.

Have Fun
Fungi

Nick Burke

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Thanks for the reply :)

Sorry - going all noob now haha
Is it actually possible to overclock a non K series intel CPU? I didnt think it was, but I've never experimented with overclocking before. I have an aftermarket cooler. My mobo has an OC genie button that supposedly sorts it all out for you!

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi, yeah the non K i5's had very limited overclocking I believe 200-400MHz past the Turbo Freq. is about max. 3.6 is the highest I have seen. You have to overclock using the BCLK its usually 100MHz but you can try to get it to 105-107ish to get a little boost, be aware raising it too high will cause instability as it is linked to most subsystems. And I know its silly but gotta say the obligatory, make sure you are using the latest BETA Drivers from the Nvidia Webpage.

Have Fun
Fungi

Solution