I5 2500k Build Mobo and Case advice

Eric Heckman

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: End of the month

Budget Range: 700-800 preferred, but I have some leeway.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media, school

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, GPU (Gtx 570), HD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com is what I've always used but I'm open to whatever.

Country of Origin: USA

Overclocking: Yes; 4.5 GHz range. Doesn't need to be 24/7, just reliable.

SLI or Crossfire: Now: No. Future: Yes to keep current.

Monitor Resolution: Now: 1600x1200 Future:1920x1080-ish

Parts to be purchased:

CPU: i5 2500k

Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 750W (The 750w is to power any future upgrades. I am willing to change brands/models, I just want a reliable 750w for around or under $100.)

Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Disc Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Questions:

My first major question is what motherboard to go with. I have nearly driven myself insane over the last few days looking and motherboards. I have read the first few pages of threads relating to the i5 2500k, googled builds, watched youtube reviews, and read newegg reviews. I can't seem to pick a board, and when I settle, I read a flood of negative reviews. My prerequisites are a steady, reliable 4.5 Ghz overclock, fit the parts listed above, and be in the $100-$200 range.

Question two is on the case. Now I see a lot of mid range builds recommending the Cool Master HAF series. My concerns with them are that I read about lack of dust filters

Eric Heckman

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I accidently posted without finishing question two. I was stating that I've read about a lack of dust filters and that the paint job is easily scratched. I know a few people with Antec cases which I have to say are quite nice. I was wondering if the Antec 1200 case is too large for what I need or if the Antec 902 would better fit my needs now and in the future. Or would the HAF be a better route? Thank you for your time to anyone that helps out.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Personally I've never cared about dust filters and just clean my PC regularly. I also don't leave it on 24/7 so it doesn't collect that much dust. If you leave it on 24/7 it is probably worth having dust filters. As a note, you can always add them later for fairly cheap if you really like one case over another.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 is a great option. From what I understand you should be able to hit 4.5GHz with it. I've read a user review that had a i5-2500k at 5GHz with reasonable voltages. I'd give you direct feedback, but I RMA'd mine due to a loud squealing noise. I only ran it at stock speed and it is a nice board.