Question i5-4590 and GTX 1660TI bottleneck?

july85

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Hi,

I recently stopped smoking and have some extra money in my money-box hence I decided to purchase a new GPU as I want to reward myself:)MSI GTX 1660 TI Gaming X.

My question is whether my CPU i5-4590 will bottleneck the new GPU a lot?

My current PC is i5-4590; GTX970 4GB-RAM, 8GB-RAM, 256GB SSD. I play in FullHD@60Hz - and I intend to play in this in the future.

A new PC is planned in 2 years but I just want a small reward for not smoking for a while;-) and play new games and CIV VI on Ultra in FullHD@60Hz;-)

I play the following games (I am not sure whether these are CPU or GPU heavy):
Civ VI (including DLCs) - in late game I have really low FPS.
Total War Warhammer 2 - planning to purchase Three Kingdoms, TW series in general
Anno 1800 - when it comes out
Unity heavy games like Skater XL, Deadstick when it comes out
Rimworld
Shadow Tactics, Desperados when it comes out
PES 2019
Xcom, Mutant Year Zero
Monster Hunter World and RE2 are coming soon.

Hi,

A stratergy fan I see.... to be honest most strat games are pretty cpu heavy, so the low FPS you are seeing is more the CPU getting bogged down than the 970. So in the games you are playing, you aren't going to get much benefit out of that 1660ti (what you'll find is you'll have higher frame rates early game but that game will quickly slow down to same speed as you are getting now).

For those type of games you'd be better getting a faster CPU- depending on motherboard if you could get something like a 4770k and overclock it would be the biggest improvement. I'd probably also look at another 8gb of ram. Those changes should allow your machine to keep good frame rates much later into the game.

july85

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I am old and have kids, actually I can play only strategy games, turned based or with inbuilt pause option preffered:D

To the topic, that is not what I wanted to hear.. that would mean dealing with a secondhand CPU and thermal paste (I do not really trust secondhand items and hate all kinds of thermal pastes), my MB is MSI H97 gaming, therefore it should handle i7.

Would additional 8GB-RAM (only) give me some horsepower I need for my games?

I believe it is time to start smoking again as I have no use for money which I have saved:D

I am old and have kids, actually I can play only strategy games, turned based or with inbuilt pause option preffered:D

To the topic, that is not what I wanted to hear.. that would mean dealing with a secondhand CPU and thermal paste (I do not really trust secondhand items and hate all kinds of thermal pastes), my MB is MSI H97 gaming, therefore it should handle i7.

Would additional 8GB-RAM (only) give me some horsepower I need for my games?

I believe it is time to start smoking again as I have no use for money which I have saved:D

Well it's possible that might help, I think Civ can use quite a bit of ram- if you have a second screen it's worth opening up task manager and putting it onto the performance tab and keeping an eye on ram usage- if your full 8gb is in use then game will be forced to use swap file which will really slow it down, in which case more ram will help.

july85

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I am thinking about it more and more now and you are right, I would need CPU and maybe more RAM. Therefore anyone wants to sell i7, gen4, prefferably in a new condition?

WildCard999

Titan
I am thinking about it more and more now and you are right, I would need CPU and maybe more RAM. Therefore anyone wants to sell i7, gen4, prefferably in a new condition?
It's going to be pricey, near the cost of a platform upgrade. For about the same cost you could get this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.66 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $274.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-19 13:57 EDT-0400

Normally you'd want to opt for 16gb of memory but if money is tight then this would work.

july85

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Thanks for recommendation, I will keep it my rig as it is now. As in my long terms planning a new PC is there for Christmas 2020. If I would purchase those companents now I would be pretty much destroying my plan for new PC in approx 2 years. I just wanted some minor upgrade to keep up until Christmas 2020 is here.

Anyways guys thanks a lot for your recommendation!

Reactions: cdrkf