[SOLVED] i5-6500 overheating to 94c-100c ?

mTz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hi guys, please bear with me as this is going to be long.

So this pc is my back up workstation/media center mainly the latter, so no over clocking or intensive CPU load. Yesterday morning when i booted the system it kept on rebooting as soon as windows would start loading, I tried it a few times and it wont let windows repair or allow me to reset it because as soon as any thing related to windows would appear it would reboot, at this point I started removing parts, HDD removal had no effect, I changed the slot for the RAM but I only have one stick so that was limited and ineffective but when I removed the video card for the first time windows booted up to desktop but for some reason on board display did not work and I was only able to access it though remote desktop, at that point I checked disk health and device manager but there were no errors, only notification windows gave was along the line "last update was uninstalled to aid repair", at this point I was using it through remote desktop and 10min tops pc abruptly restarted, so far I didn't know that CPU was over heating.

As i wanted to get into bios i re installed the video card and the system booted, widows went into "self repair" then "diagnosing" and it would get to the desktop and again 5-10min at idle it would restart, this happened a couple of more times till it gave CPU temperature error at boot, I went into the bios and the CPU temp was at 35c-42c, all fans were working, CPU fan was at 100%. I booted up and installed NZXT CAM and CORE TEMP (it took me 3 attempts because of restarts), CPU was hovering between 90-100c with load at 50 to 70%, even when load went down after start up apps, temperature remained in the same bracket and it was pulling 34w and 28w(there were two numbers written side by side) when the load was around 60%. PC had Kaspersky already installed so I ran a scan and it didn't find anything. Also I never installed any software apart from office and adobe so I didn't try any other scans

View: https://imgur.com/a/gzEe97D

Today I have not been able to boot up to desktop at all and instead of rebooting at windows logo I am getting BSOD with different error code "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION" "WHEA UNCORRECTABE ERROR"

So far I have swapped the PSU to no effect, I don't have a spare compatible RAM, MOBO, video card or CPU, as all other computers I have access to are laptops. I took out the processor cleaned the heat sink and fan, cleaned old thermal paste and reapplied it but the temperatures have remained same, I also updated the BIOS to no avail as well. I also tried fresh install of Win 10 but i got BSOD after it finished loading files. Lastly I also removed the CMOS cell to try reset onboard display problem but it didn't fix anything instead for couple of bootups I didn't get display from video card either. Not sure if its anything but when I removed the processor there were black dots all around the edges of the top part where thermal paste was not covering, i cleaned it all with alcohol but the black spots were unaffected.

At this point I don't have the budget for a new system so I want narrow down what I could replace to get it to work but I have been on forums whole day yesterday and I have ran out of ideas also it seems anyone who had this type of problem was not able to fix it! Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading through all that.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Win 10 Pro build 19043
i5 6500
ASUS B150 PRO
8GB DDR4 KINGSTON RAM
PSU is made buy cooler master and I have had it in use for at least last 8 years but I cant remember the exact model

Solution
Likely, your cooler has come loose.
At a max of 100c. your processor is throttling.

Remount it, here is how:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the...

Remount it, here is how:

If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution

mTz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

Remount it, here is how:

The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll redo it just in case, though it seems unlikely it would be the cause on its own. I built this setup 5 years ago and only problem it ever had was a failed HDD few months back and yesterday I removed the cooler did the whole repasting and I checked all four tabs of the fan and they are sitting flush with the motherboard. I also have managed to create a new problem, the CMOS cell that i removed in hopes of resetting bios have cut power to mouse and keyboard and there is no display out coming as well, i had a new cell lying around so i replaced the old one but it dint solve the issue. This got resolved at some point when i disconnected power to reseat the cooler but i am not able to get into windows, i keep getting BSOD with "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION" error code

Last edited:
In the remounting process, did you ever remove the processor from the socket?
If you did,one of the socket pins could have been damaged, causing unpredictable symptoms.

Cooler master 8 years old would be my next suspect.

A failing psu can cause strange problems difficult to diagnose.