i5 6600k High CPU Usage When Gaming

PerfectChaos55

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Hi, I just built my first PC and im having problems with my CPU usage when gaming. I have and i5 6600k and a MSI GTX 970. Im trying to play Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor GOTY, but for some reason it stays around 27fps with terrible stuttering; when I have seen people with similar set ups at base clocks getting 60fps on Ultra. No matter what setting i play on the fps stays the same from low to ultra. I used CAM monitoring software and noticed my GPU usage was only at 45% and my CPU stays at about 80-100% usage. I have also tried MSI Afterburner and it also says my CPU usage is too high.

I've noticed this problem with all my other games as well Fallout 4 has literally become unplayable for me staying around 15fps,. So, I have that uninstalled. My other games include DOOM 2016, Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Right now my main concern is Shadow of Mordor.

I have tried so far...
-Clean install of GPU drivers
-Clean install of Windows 10
-cleared CMOS (for some reason i keep on getting the debug code 24-27: wich is a memory initialization problem...i dont know what that means tho)
-Reinstall all games
-Messing with NVIDIA control panel
-testing my PC with my friend's old AMD GPU, the game ran but still had the stuttering and low fps.

my temps on my CPU stay at about 30-40C and my GPU around 45C

my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NdgxPs

i didn't play very long but i hope this can help: http://imgur.com/a/zoySB

If you need any additional info please let me know, I really wanna get this fixed and I have tried everything I can find on Google.

I'm still new to the whole PC thing so any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Your temps shpuld be far higher under load. What really looks off to me is it says your cpu is at 100% and 800mhz. Should read 3500mhz since the game would load up the cpu.

Try setting windows power settings to max, gpu power in nvidia control panel to max, and see what your cpu multiplier is in the bios.

Could be bad cpu or mobo. Ram errotlrs could be from running two separate sets of sticks instead of matched set. Might check the ram settings to see about adding a bit more power or loosening the timing. Four sticks is more finicky than two.
Your temps shpuld be far higher under load. What really looks off to me is it says your cpu is at 100% and 800mhz. Should read 3500mhz since the game would load up the cpu.

Try setting windows power settings to max, gpu power in nvidia control panel to max, and see what your cpu multiplier is in the bios.

Could be bad cpu or mobo. Ram errotlrs could be from running two separate sets of sticks instead of matched set. Might check the ram settings to see about adding a bit more power or loosening the timing. Four sticks is more finicky than two.

Solution

PerfectChaos55

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Apparently it was my Mobo that was keeping my frequency at 0.8GHZ. I had to change a setting in my BIOS. This is supposedly a common problem with MSI's z170 MOBOs.
Thank you so much for your help :)