[SOLVED] i5 6600k severly under perfoming

Necket

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
This build has a couple of years of age. I've had little trouble with playing games at a decent fps but I've found that it was significantly struggling for things such as opening chrome and photoshop. I did a benchmark test and found it is severly underperfoming.

View: https://imgur.com/a/mkVhSrm

It's struggling even with discord. I know its an old CPU and I should propably upgrade it, but I do not have the money right to buy a new one. I'd really wish to extend its lifetime for a few years. I hope I can find a solution.

Solution
update: I fixed it. It's now running at 4.11 GHz.

Turns out there's a slow boot mode switch. Apparently, when i build it I must have switched it on. After 3 years, my PC finally runs like it should. I feel like such a moron rn. Still, thanks for the help!

Necket

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Have you overclocked?
The 6600K comparisons will usually be with processors that have been well overclocked.

How much ram do you have?
Chrome and photoshop are heavy users of ram.

I have a z107A MSI motherboard. I haven't overclocked. I just now turned off a feature in my BiOs called Game Boost, I'd imagine that would be similar to overclocking. I have 16GB of ram, two sticks of 8gb each.

I think you meant MSI Z170 A
With a good cooler, you should be able to overclock all cores to 4.5 or better.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K

4.9 14%
4.8 38%
4.7 67%
4.6 87%

In the bios, leave all voltages on auto and gradually increase the all core multiplier.
Stress test monitoring temperature and vcore.
cpu-Z will tell you the vcore.

Necket

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I think you meant MSI Z170 A
With a good cooler, you should be able to overclock all cores to 4.5 or better.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K

4.9 14%
4.8 38%
4.7 67%
4.6 87%

In the bios, leave all voltages on auto and gradually increase the all core multiplier.
Stress test monitoring temperature and vcore.
cpu-Z will tell you the vcore.

I cant seem to find that option in the BiOs. I did find that it says that my CPU runs at 0.80. Is that normal?

I'm guessing that 32c is an idle temp. You need to figure out what your load temps are. Try running a stress test with your monitoring software open. Cinebench is good for quick temp checks.

What are you using for monitoring? Hwinfo64 is what I recommend.

.8ghz is not normal, unless that's idle. It should boost to around 3.9.

Necket

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I'm guessing that 32c is an idle temp. You need to figure out what your load temps are. Try running a stress test with your monitoring software open. Cinebench is good for quick temp checks.

What are you using for monitoring? Hwinfo64 is what I recommend.

.8ghz is not normal, unless that's idle. It should boost to around 3.9.

I was using UserBenchmark. I downloaded Intel XTU and ran a stress test. It also maxes out at 33 C and its stuck at 0.8ghz. I do not know what else to do know.

Necket

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
update: I fixed it. It's now running at 4.11 GHz.

Turns out there's a slow boot mode switch. Apparently, when i build it I must have switched it on. After 3 years, my PC finally runs like it should. I feel like such a moron rn. Still, thanks for the help!

Solution
Good job in finding your problem.
I had never heard of a slow boot mode switch before.
Researching a bit, it turns out that some msi motherboards had such a switch, and some were mistakenly set on by default.
The switch is only used by ln2 overclockers to get into the bios safely.

You are doing fine at 4.1 default.
If you want to overclock a bit, you should be able do do some 10% better.