Question i5 6600k underperforming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2019
I've just got a i5 6600K paried with a H110M-D motherboard and did not overclock the cpu. The benchmark I got from cinebench r15 was 584 (comparing to stock i5 6600K it should be around 600) and for Geekbench 5 i got a single core score of 991 and multi-score of 2994. These values are pretty bad comparing to the ones online with stock. Also, when I'm playing CSGO, I sometimes have stutters and also a low fps (100-150 on 1080p with everything low) and the GPU I'm using is a RX580. I'm also using a single channel 8GB 2133Mhz RAM if that helps. I've checked the CPU temps and it has been reasonably cool under load (around 60-70 degrees Celsius). I've also just updated my BIOS to the latest verision. Anything I can do to improve the performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

winks42

Respectable
Your motherboard cannot overclock. You have single channel RAM and that can cause stuttering in games. Make sure things like Cstate and power saving modes are off just to make sure that isn’t the issue.
Is the cpu at 100% while playing csgo?

Nov 23, 2019
Your motherboard cannot overclock. You have single channel RAM and that can cause stuttering in games. Make sure things like Cstate and power saving modes are off just to make sure that isn’t the issue.
Is the cpu at 100% while playing csgo?

I don't plan to overclock the cpu. About the RAM, from the previous cpu (i5 7400) it didn't cause any stutters. Yes I've turned those off. I used NZXT CAM app to monitor the cpu while I was playing. It sometime reached 100% then drops to 75% then goes back up to 100%. Not sure why this happened. What about the low scores on the benchmarks?

winks42

Respectable
I still think it’s the RAM. Set the priority of CSGO on high in task manager. When you do the benchmarks make sure there are no other programs running and set the program to real-time or high priority to get the score.

Nov 23, 2019
I still think it’s the RAM. Set the priority of CSGO on high in task manager. When you do the benchmarks make sure there are no other programs running and set the program to real-time or high priority to get the score.
Will try that. If it's the RAM should I upgrade to 16gb or improve the speed?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check task manager that graphs for all four cores are displayed. Sometimes Windows can restrict cpu to couple of cores after a cpu change. Think this usually happens after upgrading to a higher core cpu on the same OS install though.

If cpu is restricted, can change it in msconfig, boot, advanced, uncheck number of processors, reboot.

Nov 23, 2019
Check task manager that graphs for all four cores are displayed. Sometimes Windows can restrict cpu to couple of cores after a cpu change. Think this usually happens after upgrading to a higher core cpu on the same OS install though.

If cpu is restricted, can change it in msconfig, boot, advanced, uncheck number of processors, reboot.

I've checked, all 4 cores are running and the number of processors have already been unchecked originally. Thank you though

Reactions: boju
Nov 23, 2019
Anything change after you changed the priority? Duel channel ram would make your system run better but let’s make sure that’s the issue.
Yeah I've increased like 20% FPS for csgo but according to the CPU usage graph it still sometimes drop to 78% and goes back up to 100%. Not too sure if that's normal? I'll definitely consider upgrading my RAM to 16gb.

Fluctuating % CPU usage is normal. 100% usage means there is no more free cores for Windows to perform tasks in the background and the game will slow down. Dual channel RAM will definitely improve performance.

A lot of garbage tasks can be shut off with a $10 program: https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/#products-spybotanti-beacon

I do not know if you have Windows 10 or what version. After finding the version find an optimization guide such as this one by him, so you can manually tweak Windows 10, great info.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_R_tKwtas
If you have a different version search YouTube for Tech Yes City windows 10 optimization guide.

Nov 23, 2019
Fluctuating % CPU usage is normal. 100% usage means there is no more free cores for Windows to perform tasks in the background and the game will slow down. Dual channel RAM will definitely improve performance.

A lot of garbage tasks can be shut off with a $10 program: https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/#products-spybotanti-beacon

I do not know if you have Windows 10 or what version. After finding the version find an optimization guide such as this one by him, so you can manually tweak Windows 10, great info.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_R_tKwtas
If you have a different version search YouTube for Tech Yes City windows 10 optimization guide.
Thank you for the help. I will consider using dual channel RAM. Also, i have a windows 10 Education edition. Will watch the video and follow the guide

Status
Not open for further replies.