i5 7600k or Ryzen 7 1700

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Hi, im interested in a new processor and build a new pc for gaming with games like csgo, overwatch, dota2, h1z1 im interested in high frame rate and also good performance over all like Adobe suite or stuff like that, im probably not rendering stuff but i could stream.

if i see the prices right now, the i5 7600k is around $240 without a fan/cooler and a cheap cooler is like $30, so it would be around $270 and a performance is good for what i want.

and a amd ryzen 7 1700 is at $330 and it comes with the cooler/fan, its new and im not sure if i should take the risk and get it since there is a ton of bugs or non optimized stuff like smt, but the 8 /16 cores - threads are really interesting for the nexts months or years, they are both good at gaming and a workstation but like i said i want high frame rate and im not into edit/rendering stuff

the i7 7700k is around $330 but has no cooler/fan so i have to spend 30 on it to get it and i dont wanna spend more than $330 in a processor right now

i understand both i5-7600k and ryzen-1700 are really good, but im not that kind of person that upgrade his system every half year so i wanna get something and stay with it for a good amount of time without losing that much performance over the time

thanks for reading, sorry for the bad grammar or english mistakes.

Solution
You can always replace a processor and sell an older one. A loss, but consider it like leasing a car. If the difference is $100 and you had it for a year, not so bad.

If I were planning to stream, and building right this second, R7-1700 would probably be my choice. Much of the improvement is going to be software based: BIOS, OS, and game development. I doubt AMD is going to turn around and proof another design in the next few months, perhaps a minor stepping or something. Only way is to go up from here basically.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Some games are starting to favor a 7700k over a 7600k today and a couple actually scale all the way up to an 8 core 6900k beating a 6800k which beats a 7700k. So if you're planning to stick with this a while ryzen will only get more adopted not less. The smt issue is with Windows scheduling the hyperthreads with no favor to the full threads this will be a rather easy fix i suppose.

That being said a 1700 will get "less" fps than a 7700k probably forever due to clock speed being a good bit slower. If you plan to game at 1440p or 4k the difference is tiny as the GPU is usually the bottlneck anyway.

If you do get into streaming CPU demanding games a 7600k will bog down and drop frames left and right, the 1700 shouldn't even notice the workload increase. So it comes down to what you want.

Pure gaming performance get a 7700k/7600k

Ability to stream and play on one computer get a 1700

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

thanks for the quick answer, and well i dont wanna spend 360 dollars for a i7 7700k plus i need a really good mobo to run it, i mean i need a good one too for the i5 but the i5 is like 100 dollars less.. the "streaming" part could be optional im not interested on it but i could try it, also im aiming for a high frame rate on 1080p with a 144hz monitor, im not interested in anything over that, because i cant afford more parts for it.. im kinda interested in the 1700 just because the upcoming fixes but like you said the clock speed is kinda slower compared to a i5 7600k.

btw i wanna add a 1070 to that pc, thanks for the help!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
144hz is where the ryzen CPUs struggle honestly. They are easily oced around 3.8-4.0 usually which helps some but still leaves them behind a 7600k in most cases. Most games they'll easily pull well over 100 fps but many hang in the 125-140 range which won't fully utilize your 144hz screen however I'm not sure anyone can actually tell a difference between 125 and 180 fps.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm normally in favor of upgrade path, and AM4 is likely to have just as long a span as AM3/AM3+

So you'll have new parts available for several years.

Intel has been fairly rapid in replacing sockets. However, it seems this AMD release has changed their plans. They will only do a process node shrink for mobile chips, and release new LGA1151 compatible parts on the same process node with higher core counts to compete. So you can expect a 6 core i7 priced as cheaply as today's quad cores.

R7-1700 seems like a wise investment, but so does a Z270 board and CPU with a high clock.

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

Yea, thats why i ask about it also i understand i can overclock a 7600k and get an extra performance, also i wanna ask this when you mean 125-140 fps on the ryzen processors are you talking about high or ultra settings in game? or any settings in game.

thanks for the answer

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Here is the thing. If you are only gaming and i do mean only gaming then the i5 would be better than anything.

Now if you are looking at doing more than a couple things at once, Streaming, gaming, and others, then the i7 or R7 1700 would be the way to go. Reviewers have been getting a very wide range of fps on Ryzen which all depends on the MB and bios that they have been running. What I've seen is that people who are updating bios to the latest versions, they are getting within 8-10% of the fps in gaming of the i7. In productivity, which i do run, the Ryzen blows away the i7 in programs that i use.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The CPU doesn't care what the resolution is. It'll push the same frames no matter which setting or resolution you choose. That puts the performance on the GPU. The higher the setting the stronger the GPU required 4k 60hz max settings requires less CPU power that 720p at 144hz

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

i wanna get a processor that makes me play games and let me do stuff also, like using photoshop for painting or ilustrator for designs, but i want a high frame rate in my games, streaming is optional to be honest it would be casual, maybe once in a while, thats why i kinda like the 1700 idea because it sounds like it could do a lot of stuff but its kinda expensive.. while the i5 in the other hand is almost the same thing just without the multicore stuff thats why i wanna know what should i get, thanks for the answer!

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

yea thats the thing, i really like the idea on upgrading stuff in the motherboard like amd did with am3/am3+ but they released those 8 cores processors a while ago and since then they are the same thing with an amazing performance in multicore stuff but poor on gaming and single core stuff and this is the first time i will get a intel processor if chose the i5 7600k but i believe they are a good option too

thanks for the answer

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Here's the issue. You keep saying poor single core. That's not an accurate statement. Behind Intel sure, but it's lighyears ahead of their old stuff. This is an actual 8 core CPU, first in amds history for the consumer market. They can say the ,8350 was..but it certainly was not.

Either option works for you and the am4 socket should be around a while. There should be 6core/12thread and 4core/8thread versions sooner rather than later for the same price or less than the 7600k which could be very interesting

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

well its the first time i said they are poor in the whole thread, and i think its correct if you compre all the amd stuff behind ryzen against intel, and yes this new ryzen looks amazing compared to their older stuff. im sorry if this isnt true, but all of their processors are really high scored in benchmakrs because of their multi core / threads in their pprocessors and i dont know about this new line but it looks like the same thing.. i mean i like the i5 idea its cheaper, same or better perdformance or.. maybe less performance, better clock speed, but i opened this because the new ryzen processor look really interesting because all the new stuff and i wanna get something good without spending a huge amount of money and can give me good performance over the time and i doubt a ryzen 5 could beat a i5 right now,

thanks for the amnswer and sorry if i was rude/ or ignorant about the stuff !

edit: quick question, if i get a i5, am i able to play games with high frame rate while watching a stream in a extra monitor, or playing a video or having multiple chrome / firefox tabs or windows or it will hurt the performance a lot since is a i5, would the 1700 do it better? thanks

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Depends on the game. In Lol Na you'd never notice it. Bf1 it'll hurt a lot with the i5.

As for the r5 series blanket statements about losing to Intel. Will it get the same fps? Likely again no. Will it deliver 90% or more of the fps, for a lower cost and perform better in your multi tasking scenario. Probably.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
To say it does poor in gaming, 1080p, in almost every game, it is either equal or 8-10% behind. I wouldn't consider that poor, I would say that is more due to the system not being optimized for the processor. That will come in time and has already been happening.

Gamers Nexus and a couple others out there have a good mix of gaming/productivity programs reviews with the R7 1700, most it either beats or ties the i7 in the productivity but in gaming it is a spitting distance between them.

If you are a bit iffy right now on either build, I would give it until the end of this week to make the hard line judgement on it. Like I said earlier, companies are pushing out bios updates ASUS went from i think 502 shipping with the board, to 505 beta with 507 also there. Both with higher performance in gaming and productivity when using 505. Some people are reviewing with those and it does show in graphs.

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

sorry for keep asking stuff, but do you think its better that 1700 over a i5 in that scenario, watching streams in a extra monitor, minimizing the game and playing music, opening an extra photshop while playing games like overwatch or csgo, having voice comunication programs, opening like a firefox with some extra tabs inside and having battle.net steam origin stuff like that that sometimes you forget to close because thats what i usually do in my currrent pc (amd 1100t / radeon 7870, 12gb ddr3) and it doesnt hurt my fps that much probably like 10%, but this pc is garbage compared to a brand new one of course i dont do it at the same time but you understand.. so yea thank you very much for your time and the answers

skar1e

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

yea idk what i should buy im not good at this decisions since they are very alike and of course amd has a multicore flawless win, and when i said poor i didnt meant to say they are garbage im pretty sure when you use them or play on them you dont even notice if your framerate goes under 90 so basically if i buy an i5 or a 1700 is probably gonna be the same thing, i just want a good performance over all and if i buy that i5 dont get punished by opening a stream in my extra monitor and lost 50% of my frames because of that, or if i buy a 1700 then they release a new procesor in 3 months with all the fixes or they add a new 1700(z) that runs at better clock speed and has all the stuff that the 1700 didnt have.. so yea thanks for the answer i apreciate it a lot

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can always replace a processor and sell an older one. A loss, but consider it like leasing a car. If the difference is $100 and you had it for a year, not so bad.

If I were planning to stream, and building right this second, R7-1700 would probably be my choice. Much of the improvement is going to be software based: BIOS, OS, and game development. I doubt AMD is going to turn around and proof another design in the next few months, perhaps a minor stepping or something. Only way is to go up from here basically.

Solution

Finesse_ck

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

That was my worry when I bought it. Since I play cs quite a bit on an Asus 144hz monitor. Now I typically play a 4:3 stretched resolution however my test was at stock speeds just the boost clock @3.7 ghz at 1080p everything on high and my frames never dropped below 260... So it's safe to say that the 1700 will easily be able to take full advantage of a144hz monitor on csgo which is the only fps I play a lot of. I also am into streaming and some light editing. While the 7700k I was looking at is great and easily overclocked to 5ghz and will have a higher frame rate but for a single PC setup to stream on the Ryzen chip is a great buy and this is coming from someone who only bought Intel/ Nvidia the past 8 years, I'm impressed with Ryzen and do not regret passing up on the significantly higher clock speeds of the 7700k. For whatever reason people shit on AMD, while they have been meh lately, a lot of people also don't know how to build a solid rig which will cause issues. What I don't get though is everyone talking about how bad Ryzen is for gaming, nobody talks about how bad the 7700k is in productivity/mulitworkloads which is worst at than than the Ryzen is at gaming.

The 7700k is no doubt the best chip but for someone just gaming and nothing else they would be better off buying an i5 not the i7. Content creators who are gamers will get a lot out of the Ryzen 1700. For future proofing I'd say hands down go with Ryzen since the AM4+ socket will be amds socket for the next 5 years or so. So if your not going to upgrade your PC every other year and game and maybe stream the 1700 will be great, even in a game like cs where you need a high frame rate, it stays well above 240 frames for me at least at the stock boost speed of 3.7 my buddy has gotten his 1700 up to 3.9- 4ghz on a b350 board lol. If you just game and nothing else I'd argue that the i5 Is a better value for you than a 7700k especially when you can upgrade to a i7 if you ever decide to stream. But for me the Ryzen was future proofing more than if I went with Intel.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Always check the 'Compare Sites.

You can easily compare your exact question or change to a different choice; some have Sortable Columns and Top Picks Lists.

You can have the exact answer (opinion) or change your question as many times as you like; and you get an instant answer.

Then you've sure of which two you want to ask about you can ask for specific personal use cases or about specific Programs not tested on some Automated Website, somewhere.

Here's a few Suggestions, there's 1000's of Sites like these:

https://versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-vs-intel-core-i5-7600k

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/121/AMD_Ryzen_7_1800X_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-7600K.html

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/3885vs3916

Choose whichever Site you think is best and compare the opinions of a few Sites.

It's like saying 'Google It' but that's what to search for, not just a 'Versus Review' (which is useful) but a 'Benchmark Comparator'.

All questions answered with less than an hour's wait.