[SOLVED] i5 8400 Z370 with 4000mhz RAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Josef_

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I recently bought G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-4000C18D-16GVK (2x8gb) memory in anticipation of a CPU/mobo upgrade a while from now. The replaced memory sticks are 2400/2666 respectively.

It says my CPU (i5 8400, Z370P D3 mobo) only supports a maximum of 2666mhz memory, so 4000mhz seems overkill and useless.

However, my BIOS claims (when XMP profile is activated) the memory runs at 4000 mhz. CPU-Z also shows this number.
  • Does the memory effectively run at 2666mhz or is it capped somehow even though it shows up as running at 4000mhz?
  • If indeed it is (effectively) capped at 2666mhz, would it make sense to add the one 2666mhz stick or does this mess up the dual channel performance boost, since I'd have 3 sticks?
  • I reckon adding both old memory sticks to make 32gb would be a bad idea since all sticks would run at 2400 and there's no difference in gaming performance 16gb vs 32gb, afaik.
I've seen plenty of videos that show a sometimes significant improvement in gaming performance when using higher frequency RAM, but only in scenarios where the CPU is the bottleneck.

I was thinking of upgrading my CPU to an i7 10700k i7 9700k or i9 9900kf to supplement my RTX2060 Super OC 8gb.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Solution
@nofanneeded Yeah it's more future proof for sure, although real world benchmarks show very little gains in gaming with my gpu. Most games don't use HT and I don't use my pc for anything else but gaming so those extra threads are somewhat useless.

But who knows what future games support.. I'm gonna think about it, the i9 is only slightly more expensive. Ugh, first word problems lol.

New consoles PS5 and Xbox series X have 8 cores 16 threads ... you will see the difference very soon .

and Just get the i9 it will work ! just it wont overclock good , thats it , at stock? even the 9900KS will work (which is overclocked 9900K)

It is tested by the maker to work at stock .
Running a high power cpu on a low end motherboard with weak VRM’s and running into VRM overheating issues is nothing new. I suggest you go and check reviews of the 9900 variants and the good reviews will point out you need a motherboard with good VRM’. This forum is also littered with threads when people have tried pairing a high power cpu’s on a low end motherboard and then run into problems. Under short bursts of load you can get away with it but even then the motherboard life may be shortened. However gaming or scenarios where the cpu is under high load for long periods of time are where the problems usually occur. Everything will be fine for X time and then performance drops off a cliff as the cpu gets throttled as the VRM’s throttle the cpu to prevent them being damaged from overheating.

If this was my money no way would I drop an i9 into that motherboard.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
@nofanneeded Alright, thanks!

Not sure I would use a 9900K processor with that board. Looks like it has a 4+2 power phase. It's like putting a LS1 motor in a VW.

For the power draw of the 9900K it says 95 watts, but under just full load at turbo speed it jumps up to 168 watts (without overclocking) A lot of people will see that 95 watt power draw listed and think that's it but they don't really understand how Intel rates their TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

For suing GB and getting millions of dollars that is funny. The board comes with a 3 year warranty, it will actually function with a 9900K but is it really made for a high powered processor no.

EDIT your money, your PC do as you wish.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Not sure I would use a 9900K processor with that board. Looks like it has a 4+2 power phase. It's like putting a LS1 motor in a VW.

For the power draw of the 9900K it says 95 watts, but under just full load at turbo speed it jumps up to 168 watts (without overclocking) A lot of people will see that 95 watt power draw listed and think that's it but they don't really understand how Intel rates their TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

For suing GB and getting millions of dollars that is funny. The board comes with a 3 year warranty, it will actually function with a 9900K but is it really made for a high powered processor no.

EDIT your money, your PC do as you wish.

Stop using fear on people . The board was tested to run under stock by Gigabyte . and not thei9 9900K 95 watts alone , but also its overclocked version , i9900KS with TDP of 124 watts.

No one said this mother board would take MAX 95 watts . You are focusing on the TDP of the CPU and imagining tat the motherboard cant take up to 168 watts as you said.

Where is your proof outside Guessing ?

If the Motherboard maker says it works it will work .

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Running a high power cpu on a low end motherboard with weak VRM’s and running into VRM overheating issues is nothing new. I suggest you go and check reviews of the 9900 variants and the good reviews will point out you need a motherboard with good VRM’. This forum is also littered with threads when people have tried pairing a high power cpu’s on a low end motherboard and then run into problems. Under short bursts of load you can get away with it but even then the motherboard life may be shortened. However gaming or scenarios where the cpu is under high load for long periods of time are where the problems usually occur. Everything will be fine for X time and then performance drops off a cliff as the cpu gets throttled as the VRM’s throttle the cpu to prevent them being damaged from overheating.

If this was my money no way would I drop an i9 into that motherboard.

When you find a review that this motherboard fails using i9 9900K , then talk .

Generalizing is wrong. If Gigabyte says it will work and lists it , then it will work. and without Problems and without VRM failing. no motherboard vendor wants to replace their motherboards from failed VRM !

No motherboard maker RISK thousands of returned Motherboards for using overpowered CPU while it is LISTED !

Stop this GUESSING WORK

Josef_

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Well, both sides have a point. There is evidence on one hand that the power usage is out of control with the powerful 9900's at full load. On the other hand, it would be very bad PR if mobo's got RMA'd left right and center due to failing VRM whilst a cpu is listed, however far fetched it sounds.

I'm still on the fence, might buy the cpu + good cooler first (running it stock), then replace mobo with a top tier one a month or two later after saving some money and go for the fat OC. I got the 4120mhz RAM and OC'd gpu already good to go anyway. :D

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Well, both sides have a point. There is evidence on one hand that the power usage is out of control with the powerful 9900's at full load. On the other hand, it would be very bad PR if mobo's got RMA'd left right and center due to failing VRM whilst a cpu is listed, however far fetched it sounds.

I'm still on the fence, might buy the cpu + good cooler first (running it stock), then replace mobo with a top tier one a month or two later after saving some money and go for the fat OC. I got the 4120mhz RAM and OC'd gpu already good to go anyway. :D

Good luck ! you wont regret it .

but if you want to replace the motherboard later , then dont waste your money on old CPU . get i7 10700K and new mobo , better . Or go for Ryzen 5800X/5900X ...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

As I said above your money buy what you wish I would not use that board with a 9900K processor.

The board is not going to suddenly just stop working but you can have thermal throttling, instability and shorten the life of the board because of the heat. Remember all it has to last is 3 years to be out of warranty.

For sending them in for repairs left and right their not a lot of people going to buy one of the cheapest boards made to run a 9900K.

Sometimes you get good advice here sometimes bad up to you to believe the ones you wish. I would suggest posting on a couple different forums and compare what you get.

Your not going to find any reviews on the board because I already searched for professional reviews.
The only ones I found was some user reviews that stated overheating problems using a high end processor.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
As I said above your money buy what you wish I would not use that board with a 9900K processor.

The board is not going to suddenly just stop working but you can have thermal throttling, instability and shorten the life of the board because of the heat. Remember all it has to last is 3 years to be out of warranty.

For sending them in for repairs left and right their not a lot of people going to buy one of the cheapest boards made to run a 9900K.

Stop guessing . all what you said is 100% wrong . and you are mistaken , since when Z370 chipset is one of the cheapest?

This motherboard will work 100% at stock without any problems .

you have no proof but guessing.

Even Dell XPS 8930 with its very low motherboard was updated from 8700k into 9900K without any problems by Dell Themselves back in the day.

want to see the motherboard ?

https://www.amazon.com/DF42J-IPCFL-VM-Socket-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07YVLWM8V

Last edited:

Josef_

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
@Zerk2012 Yeah I'm doing my own research too and it's true that my mobo is not ideal for 9xxx cpu's and OC'ing. It could work but not optimal. Hence my plan to replace my mobo later on and just go stock on my current mobo, which should work with my certified PSU (even though it's only bronze, but still). Also, I'm planning on getting the top tier Noctua double fan cooler, which really keeps temps low. Plus I have 5 case fans and good airflow and cable management.

Going for a 10700 makes sense too, since the price all in all won't be that much higher. Either way, with my current setup I slay everything on 1080p anyway, locked 60 fps is easily doable in all games. But I prefer 144hz since it's so damn smooth and have a sick curved 34 inch monitor. Thanks all for the input!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
FX-8350 + Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
Who remembers combos like the above?
The cpu is on the mobo's support list, but what did users experience during actual use? The VRMs throttled. The most cheap boards like those could handle were the 95w FX parts.

It's the same deal here.
Check this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcqw-K1drY&t=902s

The Gigabyte Z390UD is in this - see how it fares.
Then look at the Z370P D3, and really think how that would do when it has an even worse VRM configuration than the Z390 UD.

The cpu is on the mobo's support list, but what did users experience during actual use? The VRMs throttled. The most cheap boards like those could handle were the 95w FX parts.

It's the same deal here.
Check this:

Then look at the Z370P D3, and really think how that would do when it has an even worse VRM configuration than the Z390 UD.

Exactly (y)

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

It's the same deal here.
Check this:

it fares good at stock speed. Gigabyte is the only one with Blue bars. not red. and the only one that did not fail.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@nofanneeded
Acceptable, but still up there. Now look at the VRM on the Z390UD:
iu

Then at the Z370P D3's:
iu

If you can't see the issue... I give up.

Reactions: sizzling

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
@nofanneeded
Acceptable, but still up there. Now look at the VRM on the Z390UD:
iu

Then at the Z370P D3's:
iu

If you can't see the issue... I give up.

Give up as you wish , Here is Dell XPS 8930 motherboard that takes 9900K With the same chipset.

https://www.amazon.com/DF42J-IPCFL-VM-Socket-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07YVLWM8V

81n3mL06cmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

when it works it works , untill you bring a review about the same motherboard that shows it fails , then you have no case.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-8930-Tower-Desktop/dp/B07Z3YVKH2#:~:text=VIDEOS-,Dell XPS 8930 Tower Desktop - 9th Gen Intel Core i9,Burner, Windows 10 Home, Black

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-8930-Sp...NTWHRP9FZCY&psc=1&refRID=NPCTPF0P0NTWHRP9FZCY

You dont judge a mobo by the look of it ! you test it