[SOLVED] i5 8600K High Temps | 120 AIO Push Pull | Cinebench R15 Benchmark | Cinebench R20 Benchmark

I have built my first gaming rig about 8 months ago with an i5 8600K on an Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming Motherboard with a 120 AIO from cooler master.

image_id_2125051.jpeg

Note that I have tried a complete stock use of the cpu @3.6 GHz and the temps are shockingly same for stock and my AI tweaked boost of 4.3 GHz at all cores.

Tested Cinebench R15. Score at 4.1 to 4.3 GHz on all cores was 970 around. Temps according to Asus's own software and core temps was max 89C for a few moments on 1 core. Res of the cores stayed below 86C. Overclocked to 4.7 GHz where I scored 1090 and the temps reached 99C for a moment on 2 cores. I also tested my cpu in Cinebench R20 and the score is 2477 at 4.1 to 4.3 GHz but in this test the temps reached max at 97c on core 0 and other 5 cores stayed below 95C.

D8Ow6LvUIAE6rr7

When idling all cores stay at around 39C to 41C. All of these results are from my 120 AIO with a push-pull configuration. I tried only push and only pull too but then at 4.3GHz I reached even 95C. So I see a massive change in temps with this push-pull system. My chassis is cooler master masterbox lite 5 RGB and it has 1 rear exhaust 3 front intake of which 1 is used for CPU cooling in push method and another 1 fan on the other side of the radiator to do the pull method.

I wish to know if the temps are abnormal and if the scores look normal to experts! My ambient temperature is around 27C to 32C. All of the fans used in my rig are 120 mm fans. The 1 pushing on my AIO came with my AIO so it is running at 2200 RPM. All the other fans are running at 1300RPM. The pump itself is running at max speed. I don't have air conditioner to cool down my room. Just 1 ceiling fan which is noisy enough to not let me hear anything from my CPU fan's speed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments!

Last edited:
Solution
No.
Like i said above:"120mm rad isn't enough to cool your CPU on max load" and due to that, your max temps are very high. Anything below 80°C during max load is fine while above 80°C is where i'd start worrying since at 90°C, you will see CPU thermal throttle. At 100°C, you'll fry the CPU.

For example:
I have i5-6600K CPU where my idle temps are low (26°C) and my max temps under full load are 55°C (CinebenchR15). That is really good, considering my CPU is cooled by Arctic Freezer i32 (mid-sized CPU air cooler) with 2x Corsair ML120 Pro fans in push-pull. Also, i have very good cooling in my PC as well (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig).

So, unless you don't want to shorten your CPU lifespan considerably, do not OC...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if you cheap out on CPU cooler then you'll get high temps on max loads.

Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers (e.g Arctic Freezer 33). Single slot rads are only good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

i5-8600K isn't that hot running chip but if you intend to OC it, i wouldn't look anything short of big-sized CPU coolers (e.g NH-D15S or Dark Rock Pro 3) or when going with AIO, 240mm rad (e.g Corsair H100i v2) would be bare minimum while 280mm rad would be preferred (e.g NZXT Kraken x62).

So, here's your answer: 120mm rad isn't enough to cool your CPU on max load.

Reactions: shahriarazizaakash
Well, if you cheap out on CPU cooler then you'll get high temps on max loads.

Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers (e.g Arctic Freezer 33). Single slot rads are only good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

i5-8600K isn't that hot running chip but if you intend to OC it, i wouldn't look anything short of big-sized CPU coolers (e.g NH-D15S or Dark Rock Pro 3) or when going with AIO, 240mm rad (e.g Corsair H100i v2) would be bare minimum while 280mm rad would be preferred (e.g NZXT Kraken x62).

So, here's your answer: 120mm rad isn't enough to cool your CPU on max load.

So my temps and scores look normal right?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
No.
Like i said above:"120mm rad isn't enough to cool your CPU on max load" and due to that, your max temps are very high. Anything below 80°C during max load is fine while above 80°C is where i'd start worrying since at 90°C, you will see CPU thermal throttle. At 100°C, you'll fry the CPU.

For example:
I have i5-6600K CPU where my idle temps are low (26°C) and my max temps under full load are 55°C (CinebenchR15). That is really good, considering my CPU is cooled by Arctic Freezer i32 (mid-sized CPU air cooler) with 2x Corsair ML120 Pro fans in push-pull. Also, i have very good cooling in my PC as well (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig).

So, unless you don't want to shorten your CPU lifespan considerably, do not OC your CPU when using 120mm rad. If you want to run faster than 3.6 Ghz (stock clocks), upgrade your CPU cooler. Else-ways, start collecting money for new CPU.

Reactions: shahriarazizaakash
Solution
No.

For example:

So, unless you don't want to shorten your CPU lifespan considerably, do not OC your CPU when using 120mm rad. If you want to run faster than 3.6 Ghz (stock clocks), upgrade your CPU cooler. Else-ways, start collecting money for new CPU.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably sell my 120mm Rad and move to a 240mm Rad. Maybe corsair won't be possible for me because Corsair ones are really expensive in my country. I'll take the Coolermaster ML 240R ...
Thanks again!