[SOLVED] i7-10700 or 10700K if it's not a computer for gaming

sputterbug10

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
I read the threads about this but I am still not sure they pertain to my situation. I do not do any gaming on my computer. I do alot of editing of videos I've taken and pictures and word processing and powerpoint presentation. There are two computers I'm looking at. One with the i7-10700k and one with the i7-10700. the 10700K has an RTX 2070 super graphics card adn the 10700 has an RTX 2060 super graphics card. I don't think I need the i7-10700K, do you?

Solution
If the difference in price between the two systems is significant - mostly due to the GPU difference - then get the 10700 with the 2060 Super and spend the savings on upgrading the RAM and/or SSD.

Since you don't play games, the 2060 Super is also likely overkill for most video editing purposes. In most cases the GPU is used very rarely when rendering video, such as for some visual effects, and so a stronger GPU makes little difference.

Whether you are video editing as a hobby or professionally, you will benefit more from having a larger SSD and/or more RAM than either a (very) slightly better CPU or more powerful GPU.
What do you mean by "I do a lot of editing of videos"? I think that is what we need to clarify before going any further.

Are you a professional working on movies or short clips? A content creator for Youtube? Is it just personal hobby use?

What kind of resolution is the footage you are working with?

What size are the typical files?

What applications, EXACTLY, are you most likely to use while editing video?

I used Intel CPU's in past and my experience was: even not overclocked, K version performs better. And because price differences between these two isn't big (CPU alone), I would pick 10700K in this case. As logainofhades mentioned (above), difference isn't "huge"... but if you're buying, why not pick better.
There are a lot reviews/comparisons between CPU's on web, you really should check some and try to find "your needs" there. Maybe you start with this i7 10700 vs 10700K.
And agree with ogainofhades again: for what you do, I would look after AMD CPU system.

I read the threads about this but I am still not sure they pertain to my situation. I do not do any gaming on my computer. I do alot of editing of videos I've taken and pictures and word processing and powerpoint presentation. There are two computers I'm looking at. One with the i7-10700k and one with the i7-10700. the 10700K has an RTX 2070 super graphics card adn the 10700 has an RTX 2060 super graphics card. I don't think I need the i7-10700K, do you?
If the budget allows go with the k cpu and the 2070.
It will give you a little more muscle for whatever your going to do with the machine today and tomorrow.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
If the difference in price between the two systems is significant - mostly due to the GPU difference - then get the 10700 with the 2060 Super and spend the savings on upgrading the RAM and/or SSD.

Since you don't play games, the 2060 Super is also likely overkill for most video editing purposes. In most cases the GPU is used very rarely when rendering video, such as for some visual effects, and so a stronger GPU makes little difference.

Whether you are video editing as a hobby or professionally, you will benefit more from having a larger SSD and/or more RAM than either a (very) slightly better CPU or more powerful GPU.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021
I, also, have no gaming on my computer, but I originally chose my "K" cpu years ago, because I felt it would be better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. On several occasions I was VERY glad that I had made that decision. You never know what the future holds!
-Systech.TK1

Jan 24, 2021
I chose the "K" version years ago, because I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. On numerous occasions I was VERY glad that I had made that decision. You never know what the future holds!