[SOLVED] i7-11700kf on asrock Z590-C/ac motherboard will not turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
i have a pre built system with an i7 11700kf cpu using an asrock Z590-C/ac motherboard. no matter what i do, the cpu will not go past 3.6Ghz. it has a dual fan aio radiator setup for the cpu and temps never get above 54c running cinebench, so it should not be thermal throttling. im not sure what to change in the uefi to get the cpu to turbo to what it should.

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
there is no brand name on it that i can tell, but one review on best buy said it has a 750w power supply its a prebuilt system from ibuypower. there is even one review of it saying the bios was not allowing the cpu to turbo and he changed some settings in there and fixed it, i just dont know what those settings are.

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
look thru the manual? unlikely ibuypower would limit it.
contact ibuypower for warranty?

i have looked through the manual, it tells me the same things that hovering over the controls in the uefi tells me, and im nervous to change anything that could mess it up completely.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
there is no brand name on it that i can tell, but one review on best buy said it has a 750w power supply its a prebuilt system from ibuypower. there is even one review of it saying the bios was not allowing the cpu to turbo and he changed some settings in there and fixed it, i just dont know what those settings are.
can you check the power supply model by opening the back panel? thanks!

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
can you check the power supply model by opening the back panel? thanks!
i have looked behind the back panel and there is no visible manufacturer. short of removing the power supply from the case, i would not be able to tell. its supposed to be an 80 gold 750w.

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
i believe i fixed the issue. one of the settings limited the all core to 3.6Ghz. changing the setting to auto enabled the 5Ghz speeds. now with the multicore cinebench r23 running, it will jump up to 4.9Ghz and then be a steady 4.2Ghz at about 58C on the cpu according to the nzxt cam sotware. i think i'll pull the cooler off the cpu and check the thermal paste application as one review of this system showed it was not fully covered, so it may be thermal throttling even with the low temps? or maybe at the power limit?

EDIT: the single core test is running at 5Ghz, so i think its good to go!

Last edited:

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
You reading that right, it should be 4.6 all core turbo speed.
restarted cinebench and it was showing 4.6 for the first pass at 68c, then dropped to 4.2 for the second at 57-58c and thats where its staying. im thinking the thermal paste is not applied right and might have hot spots causing it to throttle. im going to pull off the cooler to see and then apply some new thermal paste.

Trevinator

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
i applied some new thermal paste and the temps were lower, but it still throttled back to 4.2Ghz when it reached 60c. could it be throttling because the vrms are getting too hot? they have heat sinks on them, but they are hot to the touch after running cinebench.

wizzardofnozs

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
The xbox series x can do it just as well on horizon though. It's a pretty light game. Not above 60fps mind you unless you drop out of 4k though. Test it out with something heavy or some 3d mark. its on sale right now on steam.

I just ordered this exact machine. It was the cheapest way to get a 3080ti with having it a full pc. I'll let you know if I have the same results and what happens when I start messing with stuff and changing out coolers if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.