Question i7 11800H - throttling for no apparent reason

Jan 27, 2024
Hi guys,
I've got an Aorus 15P XD laptop (my honest advice, dont ever buy anthing from that brand. The amount of issues I've had with this laptop is a joke) with i7 11800H on it. The problem I'm having is that during gameplay, out of the blue, CPU just starts to throttle and the FPS count drops significantly. What's even more frustrating is that the cpu clock NEVER goes back to it's normal speed, you have to restart the laptop. There doesn't seem to be any pattern for the throttle. At first I thought that it's because of high temperatures, but I've reduced the maximum clock speed on turbo from 4.6 GHz to 3.2 GHz which caused the temperatures to drop from about 90 celsius to 80 maximum, it still throttles after some time. Even better, sometimes CPU drops its clock right after entering game, without temperatures exceeding 70 celsius. Does anyone have idea on what could be the cause? Is there any help to that? I'm attaching some screenshots from afterburner. Cheers.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZmmQjPB

@Szudof
Run ThrottleStop 9.6 and turn on the Log File option.

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. Some laptops reduce the turbo power limits. This can cause CPU throttling. Play a game for 10 or 15 minutes. When finished testing, copy and paste the log file data to,

www.pastebin.com

Exit MSI control center if you are using that or any other game control software.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024
@Szudof
Run ThrottleStop 9.6 and turn on the Log File option.

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows. Some laptops reduce the turbo power limits. This can cause CPU throttling. Play a game for 10 or 15 minutes. When finished testing, copy and paste the log file data to,

www.pastebin.com

Exit MSI control center if you are using that or any other game control software.
Here are logs from ThrottleStop: https://pastebin.com/2zahnzxP

I've actually played a bit with this software before, here are my settings. Also attached power plan settings. I guess EDP next to logs means it's actually throttling for some reason?
View: https://imgur.com/a/6ahZTHE

EDP next to logs means it's actually throttling for some reason
EDP stands for Electrical Design Point. This type of throttling is typically triggered when a current limit is set too low. Both IccMax for the Core and Power Limit 4 look OK. The FIVR settings are locked so it is impossible to know what some of the other current limits are set to. Gigabyte might be using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a current limit that has been set way too low.

The 11800H has a 45W TDP power rating and should be able to run at up to 4200 MHz during any game.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1800h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Afterburner does not accurately track the CPU speed when an Intel CPU is throttling. The low current limit is slowing your CPU down to only 1400 MHz to 1900 MHz while in game. That is one third to one half the speed your computer should be running at. Power consumption is only ~15W. You paid for a 45W CPU but you only get to use it at 15W.

Some of these throttling schemes are triggered whenever the Nvidia GPU is active. Try rebooting and then run Cinebench. You might find that your CPU can run much faster when the Nvidia GPU is not active. When you play a game, the Nvidia GPU becomes active, the CPU current limit gets reduced and extreme CPU throttling is the result.

If I bought a laptop that was throttling this badly I would have returned it immediately. If your laptop never used to run like this, it might have been a BIOS update that lowered the current limit. This type of throttling can usually only be fixed with a BIOS update. Are you using the most recent BIOS version? It is not very likely there will be any further updates for a laptop that has an 11th Gen CPU.

Reactions: 35below0 and Szudof
Jan 27, 2024
EDP stands for Electrical Design Point. This type of throttling is typically triggered when a current limit is set too low. Both IccMax for the Core and Power Limit 4 look OK. The FIVR settings are locked so it is impossible to know what some of the other current limits are set to. Gigabyte might be using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a current limit that has been set way too low.

The 11800H has a 45W TDP power rating and should be able to run at up to 4200 MHz during any game.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1800h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Afterburner does not accurately track the CPU speed when an Intel CPU is throttling. The low current limit is slowing your CPU down to only 1400 MHz to 1900 MHz while in game. That is one third to one half the speed your computer should be running at. Power consumption is only ~15W. You paid for a 45W CPU but you only get to use it at 15W.

Some of these throttling schemes are triggered whenever the Nvidia GPU is active. Try rebooting and then run Cinebench. You might find that your CPU can run much faster when the Nvidia GPU is not active. When you play a game, the Nvidia GPU becomes active, the CPU current limit gets reduced and extreme CPU throttling is the result.

If I bought a laptop that was throttling this badly I would have returned it immediately. If your laptop never used to run like this, it might have been a BIOS update that lowered the current limit. This type of throttling can usually only be fixed with a BIOS update. Are you using the most recent BIOS version? It is not very likely there will be any further updates for a laptop that has an 11th Gen CPU.

You probably hit the nail on the head there. I did update BIOS, though it was quite a long time ago, then I did not game at all for some period so I wasn't even aware it messed up something. Looking at comments under these posts it's probably the issue
I gotta find the older BIOS version somewhere on the web I guess, which probably won't be that easy considering Gigabyte doesn't provide them on their own. Once again, I seriously discourage anyone from buying any Aorus laptop from Gigabyte. This is only one of the problems I've had with this garbage.
Thank you for your help in finding the source of problem

Last edited:
Reactions: uWebb429
Jan 27, 2024
Which BIOS version is installed?
Did you load default settings after installing the update?
FE09 / F007
not sure what you mean regarding the default settings? I did not change anything in BIOS ever on this laptop besides that update, everything is pretty much locked anyway

Jan 27, 2024
yeah I've seen that newer BIOS as well, though from what I've read it did not fix the CPU throttle problem. Seems like the only solution is to go back to older one. Though maybe I'll give it a try anyway, who knows. Thank you guys.

Jan 27, 2024
there is a newer bios available FE0A & EC F008
https://www.aorus.com/de-de/laptops/AORUS-15P--Intel-11th-Gen/Support
update intel chipset, serial io and management engine driver as well
someone did this:
set power plan to high performance mode -put the charging policy to default so the laptop charges to 100% -as soon as u get 100% open control center and set the charging limit to 75%.
Regarding that charging policy thing, I did this as well already, did not see any noticable results though :/ I think I've researched every possible solution there was on the Internet, only fiddling with BIOS versions are left