[SOLVED] i7 12700k Thermal Throttle in Cinebench r32 with AiO

Dec 23, 2021
Hello guys!

I freshly upgraded my MoBo as well as the CPU to a i7 12700k and a MSI Z690 EDGE DDR4.

After turning on my PC the temps seemed normal and while playing games it looks normal too.

The issue is when i launch Cinebench R23 and start up the Multicore render ,some cores go to max/thermal throttle and some even turn gray in HWinfo (not sure what gray meens) and some are on just high temps but not over 90c as the others .

I also should mention the CPU is overclocked to 5.2Ghz dynamic range.

I tested it on lower Ghz and result was the same.

I use a LGA1200 bracket for the cooler cause im waiting on my LGA1700 to be delivered by NZXT.

I saw on the internet that the LGA1200 kinda works so i tried it otherwise i would have to wait x amount of days/weeks maybe even months to use my new Hardware.

I assume its because of the bracket as it is kinda loose on the back but seems fixed on the cooler itself.

I also checked if maybe some pins on the MoBo are bend but they look perfectly fine.

Has anyone experienced something simular? What can i do? Will the new bracket fix the issue?

i7 12700k 4Ghz - 5.2Ghz

MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4

GSKILL Tridentz 3466Mhz

ROG STRIX RTX 2080

Solution
Guys! I found a solution.
The Problem was the stupid BIOS settings. On first boot the BIOS lets you choose the type of cooler you are using so i obv selected AiO but the thing is after you choose AiO the CPUs TDP goes to 4096 Watts!!!. So stupid to solve it like that. I changed it to 250w on short and long because it was throttling the Frequency to much on lower settings.
Now its still running hot to 95c in Cinebench but only because the TDP is set so "high" on the MSI's Game Boost setting it only reached 76c which is ultra low but the performance in game was worse so i just changed it to the above mentioned.

Thank you all for your time and for the help.

Have a good one!
You failed to mention which cooler you have.

Lets say your cooler is adequate, the fact that you are not using the right bracket, even if the old lga 1200 work, it may be the reason to why you get higher temps when runing benchmarks.

Keep in mind while playing, most high end cpu are really not 100% stressed at all, not compared to CB R23 MT run.

So yeah, I would try to avoid doing benchmarks till you get the right bracket installed.

Dec 23, 2021
You failed to mention which cooler you have.

Lets say your cooler is adequate, the fact that you are not using the right bracket, even if the old lga 1200 work, it may be the reason to why you get higher temps when runing benchmarks.

Keep in mind while playing, most high end cpu are really not 100% stressed at all, not compared to CB R23 MT run.

So yeah, I would try to avoid doing benchmarks till you get the right bracket installed.

Oh yes , i have a NZXT x62 AiO.
I hope the bracket fixes it.

Dec 23, 2021
I see, how long have you been runing this AIO?

and, more or less, How many hours a day would you say the PC is been use (be browsing the web / playing youtube, or gaming)?

i have it for about 3 years and it worked perfect with my old i7 8700k 5.0 Ghz.
i have the build for about a week now and i played etc after work so like avg 5.5h a day i would say.

i have it for about 3 years and it worked perfect with my old i7 8700k 5.0 Ghz.
i have the build for about a week now and i played etc after work so like avg 5.5h a day i would say.

ok, then just get the new bracket and tried out. Follow whatever instructions nzxt may send with it.

It should most likely fix the issue once installed.

If it doesn't fix the high temps on CBR 23 then come back and give us a new shout for help!

Happy holidays!

Dec 23, 2021
ok, then just get the new bracket and tried out. Follow whatever instructions nzxt may send with it.

It should most likely fix the issue once installed.

If it doesn't fix the high temps on CBR 23 then come back and give us a new shout for help!

Happy holidays!
Will do!
Thank you , likewise!

Dec 23, 2021
Guys! I found a solution.
The Problem was the stupid BIOS settings. On first boot the BIOS lets you choose the type of cooler you are using so i obv selected AiO but the thing is after you choose AiO the CPUs TDP goes to 4096 Watts!!!. So stupid to solve it like that. I changed it to 250w on short and long because it was throttling the Frequency to much on lower settings.
Now its still running hot to 95c in Cinebench but only because the TDP is set so "high" on the MSI's Game Boost setting it only reached 76c which is ultra low but the performance in game was worse so i just changed it to the above mentioned.

Thank you all for your time and for the help.

Have a good one!

Solution

Latest posts