[SOLVED] i7 13700KF underperforming since last BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2024
Updated bios to FJd (Z790 Aorus Elite AX Rev 1.1) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl

Before this update I'd left all bios settings as out of the box default except I'd enabled XMP on the RAM (ddr5 6000 CL30) and resize bar support. Everything else I'd left as default. I have done the same this time.

CPU cooler: Peerless Assassin 120 SE

PREVIOUS BIOS Cinebench R23 multi core score: 30943 (tested yesterday)
NEW BIOS Cinebench R23 multi core scores: 29811 (first test today) and 29677 (third test today)

Let me explain...the SECOND test today was after disabling the new "intel default settings" that was introduced with this bios update so that "perfdrive optimised" (which I think was previously enabled with the old bios) would work...however the moment I pressed "Start" on Cinebench R23 multi core my computer just shut down, restarted, and went to the boot failure screen (had to press CMOS reset button). Now back on the new "intel default settings". And while it's stable once again it's underperforming. Please help me here...what's changed? Why am I getting worse performance on this new bios Vs old one? (I didn't manually configure any CPU related settings on the old bios btw).

Apr 27, 2024
Update: somehow fixed it. I'm not sure how but after clearing the CMOS and setting it back to intel default and noticing a performance loss I decided to change it and try setting it back to perfdrive optimised only this time it's completely stable and my scores have returned to Normal. Not sure why it wasn't stable the first time but clearing CMOS has resolved it.

What's more I'm now getting better temps while getting better performance Vs the Intel default profile. Similar to previous BIOS.

Just scored 30,926 and temps didn't go above 95 degrees in the multi core test. On the intel default profile some cores were hitting 100 degrees and I was scoring much lower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.