Question i7-14700k running too hot with Peerless Assassin when rendering photos?

EstimatedEyes

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Firing up my new build, and hitting temps around 27-32 most of the time, except when rendering photos in Lightroom (building 1:1 or Standard previews), when temps are consistently in the 70s and 80s but occasionaly spiking into the high 90s accoring to the max column in Core Temp which has me a bit concerned. I need to render quite a few over the next few weeks to rebuild my catalog previews, and wondering if this is something to worry about.

Using a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE with the i7-14700k on a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX ICE 1.0 in a Fractal Pop Air case. Also:; Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5200 64 GB (2x32), MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB, Corsair 850W PSU. I did not apply any OC settings (but idk if the Gigabyte board did by default).

Don't want to go to liquid cooling since this isn't a gaming rig and rendering will slow down once I get the catalog rebuilt and temps are otherwise solid.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Firing up my new build, and hitting temps around 27-32 most of the time, except when rendering photos in Lightroom (building 1:1 or Standard previews), when temps are consistently in the 70s and 80s but occasionaly spiking into the high 90s accoring to the max column in Core Temp which has me a bit concerned. I need to render quite a few over the next few weeks to rebuild my catalog previews, and wondering if this is something to worry about.

Using a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE with the i7-14700k on a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX ICE 1.0 in a Fractal Pop Air case. Also:; Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5200 64 GB (2x32), MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB, Corsair 850W PSU. I did not apply any OC settings (but idk if the Gigabyte board did by default).

Don't want to go to liquid cooling since this isn't a gaming rig and rendering will slow down once I get the catalog rebuilt and temps are otherwise solid.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.
That's not hot for that processor according to Intel. You can limit the voltage down some in BIOS if the temps scare you.

Since those processors are apparently having issues I would limit the voltage anyhow.

Reactions: EstimatedEyes
What do you have the pl1/pl2 set to. It seems the cooler is keeping up with the temps. As long as you do not see spikes to 100c it will not reduce the clocks.

In some ways you would water cool a NON gaming machine. Most gaming only uses limited cores which greatly reduces the power/heat being used.

That peerless cooler has been tested on 13700k even with the pl1/pl2 set to 253/253 which is a overclock and it still does not thermal throttle. If you set it to 4095/4095 then you need to water cool it and it still likely will thermal throttle.

You may also want to check your fan curves sometimes you can get a temperature spike because the fan curve didn't spin the fans up quickly enough as the load increased. Maybe set the fans at 100% all the time and see if it looks any different.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Lightroom preview generation (usually after image import) definitely maxes out the CPU. Consider limiting PL1 in the BIOS to around 150-175W - and perhaps even less - if you have a very large library to import/rebuild and you don’t want to mess with your current setup.
occasionaly spiking into the high 90s accoring to the max column in Core Temp
If it’s not hitting tjmax throttling in HWInfo then you’re probably fine with no changes. But @Zerk2012 comment about voltages is worth addressing.

Your temperatures are nominal.
The processor is designed to run up to 100c.

Actually rendering puts more heat load than gaming because it uses more processing threads.

First of all, update your bios.
Motherboard makers were too aggressive with voltages that exceeded Intel specs to improve performance
Motherboard makers have since released bios updates to limit the voltages by default.

Your cooler is a very good one for what it is.
But replacing with a noctua cooler with 140mm fans will do better.
Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15s would do better,

For the ultimate, see if you can't find a NH-D15 G2: