[SOLVED] i7 2600k budget build upgrade

Mondo_1

Commendable
Aug 11, 2017
Hey all! Hope you’re all okay.

currently own an i7 2600k running at 4.3ghz but it’s starting to show its age.

my question was for as cheap as possible, what cpu/mobo could I upgrade to that would;
A. Be an improvement
B. Be cheap but able to upgrade

I’m not fussed about latest and greatest and I’ll build the whole pc around the new processor selling all my old parts apart from my gold 600w EVGA psu

Solution
In theory, the cheapest I could do whilst trying to meet your criteria would be something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£108.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£56.90 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (£143.45 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £398.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-24 19:02 GMT+0000

Keep in mind that with this configuration, you will be able to do all of the things you've...

Mondo_1

Commendable
Aug 11, 2017
It would really help if you can provide a budget as cheap as possible is different for everyone. What is the PC used for? Can you also provide the full spec list of what you currently have?

honestly I’m willing to go anywhere from £200-£400 but I’m trying to go as cheap as possible now - but with the ability to upgrade the cpu at a later date.

mostly used for gaming like WoW, League etc but I really want to get into BFV, modded GTAV/Fallout/Skyrim and maybe some light blender & photoshop work.

multitasking is preferred also.

current build;
i7 2600k
Asus P8B75-M
16gb DDR3 ram
MSI R9 380
600w PSU EVGA

I gather I need to change mobo etc and it’ll be a new socket. I’m typically always behind in CPU platform so doesn’t need to be newest.

In theory, the cheapest I could do whilst trying to meet your criteria would be something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£108.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£56.90 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (£143.45 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £398.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-24 19:02 GMT+0000

Keep in mind that with this configuration, you will be able to do all of the things you've mentioned (given that you're gaming at 1080p) quite comfortably. I didn't go for cheap but for good budget options.

Now, you've mentioned that you want to go as cheap as possible, the issue is that if you're updating your build, you will need to buy a CPU, Motherboard and RAM at the same time so it's hard to recommend anything lower. Especially if you're planing on upgrading the CPU later on, you don't want to go for a cheaper board/RAM.

Which brings me to my second recommendation. Your CPU is a Quad-Core CPU that can be Overclocked to 3.8Ghz. It can actually hold its weight in gaming well enough and can be considered sufficient for multimedia, blender and photoshop. So you could simply go for a GTX1660 Super:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-super-ventus-xs-oc
Or even a 1660Ti for another 30-40quid.

This would cover your all your needs as well as your gaming needs for years to come. You can then upgrade the rest whenever you're ready to spend a bit more.

How does this sound to you?

Also, which model is the Gold EVGA PSU

Last edited:
Solution