I7 - 2700k OC @4.5Ghz Help!

hiporc

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I am just finishing my build, and want to overclock my 2700k to 4.5ghz.

Specs:

Cpu: i7 - 2700k
Mobo: MSI Z77 MPOWER
Gpu: Asus GTX670
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2x8GB
Cooler: Corsair H100i

I would like to know what settings i need to change to get a stable overclock at 4.5Ghz. Also any moneriting programs and tips are much appreciated, as this is my first over clock. Thanks

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
First download realtemp to check cpu temps and prime95 for seeing if its stable.
h100i is plenty for 4.5Ghz

first change multiplier from 35 to 45. then change cpu voltage to 1.300 and then disable Intel Turbo Boost. simple. now do into windows and run realtemp and prime95 for 1hour (just to be safe) if temps are over 80C then reduce multiplier to 43 and voltage to 1.290

If its still over 80C go another step down. but ur cpu shouldn't hit very high temps with the h100i.

hiporc

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

So i dont have to change anything like the v-droop and confusing stuff like that? Also i heard something about offset voltage???

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
naah u dont have to mess with those stuff.

i miss typed run prime95 for atleast 2 hours. and if the comp hangs when running prime95 either decrease multiplier or increase voltage. if your temps arent high increase voltage but if your temps are high the decrease both the multiplier and voltage.

redeemer

Distinguished
H100i!!!!!!!! crank up your vcore to 1.4v turn up the mulitplier to 50, enable PLL at 1.8v. If its stable try lowering the vcore to 1.39, and if thats stable after prime95 try 1.385.

H100i + 2700k is a recipe for the big 5.0Ghz

hiporc

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

id like to keep the processor for 2+ years thanks.

What is pll tho?

redeemer

Distinguished

You will be fine dude 1.52v is the max, 5.0Ghz @ 1.4v with an H100i is perfectly ok for 24/7 use. The whole point of your 2700k is to hit 5.0Ghz with lots of vcore, its a binned chip!

D

Deleted member 217926

1.4v can cause early CPU failure due to electromigration. It is NOT safe to tell someone to just go for 5Ghz and not even mention safe temps! Very irresponsible post, dangerous even. 1.4v and up needs a custom water loop not a closed loop cooler.

Every chip is different. Meaning anyone telling you to do this exactly or that exactly does not understand fundamentals.

There are very good guides online including in these forums. I suggest you spend a few days reading and actually understanding what you are about to try to do before attempting it.

redeemer

Distinguished

1.4v is perfectly fine for Sandy Bridge, max stated by Intel is 1.52v. The lower the better of course I suggest to do some research about overclocking with Sandy Bridge then comeback!

D

Deleted member 217926

The testers here at Tom's own labs found 1.4v kills Sandy Bridge chips in as little as a matter of months due to electromigration without proper cooling. Voltage is a measure of force.

D

Deleted member 217926

Oh and I bought Sandy Bridge the week it was released in January 2011 and have been overclocking since. I'm pretty much up on my research thanks...... :sarcastic:

redeemer

Distinguished

I am suprised that there are not more informed individuals, I say again as long as temps are fine 1.4v is perfectly safe. This is Sandy Bridge were talking about here not Ivy, you guys realise that a cpu even degrades at stock voltage!

D

Deleted member 217926

Or just not stupid. Learn physics.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock-motherboard-cpu,3048.html

" Our overclocking articles often mention a process called “electromigration,” where material is physically transferred from one part of a circuit to another. While the full description of this phenomenon is complex, it’s easy to understand that an insulator contaminated with conductive particles no longer insulates. Transistor gates function as either insulators or conductors depending on charge state and are particularly prone to this type of damage. And yet, many technology enthusiasts place the blame for a fried processor or GPU solely on heat, ignoring the fact that voltage is a measure of force.

Force causes electromigration, and colder silicon more easily resists that force by being less pliable. Colder temperatures also increase the insulation capabilities of transistor gates in the “off” phase, reducing the number of electrons that are forced through the closed gate. The problem with blaming heat alone on a failure is that moderate increases in electromigration resistance usually require drastic temperature reductions. When it comes to protecting hundreds of dollars in equipment, we always make our recommendations to you erring on the side of caution.

We've learned through trial, error, and dead processors that voltage levels beyond 1.45 V at above-ambient temperatures can kill an Intel CPU etched at 32 nm (Sandy Bridge-based parts included) very quickly. Those same processors die a fairly slow death at voltage levels between 1.40 V and 1.45 V (somewhere between weeks and months on our test benches). And we're expecting more than a year of reliable service from the parts we've dutifully kept below 1.40 V. Not all motherboards are perfect however. Voltage instability on a particularly cheap motherboard fried one of our processors when it was set to only1.38 V. Subsequently, you've seen us use 1.35 V for the overclocking tests in older motherboard round-ups, embracing 1.38 V to 1.40 V in more recent pieces covering higher-end platforms."

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
k, stick with 4.5.

Change multiplier to 45
change voltage to 1.300
disable Intel Turbo

run prime 95 and realtemp for 2hrs. if its unstable increase voltage to 1.310 and do it again. keep doing this process untill cpu is stable. dont go above 1.350v.