[SOLVED] i7 3770 running at 1600mhz and 1.6GHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedog1636

Honorable
BANNED
Aug 9, 2018
I will start from the start, about 6 weeks ago I brought a new motherboard (GA-H61M-S1) and i5 2400. I wasn't happy with the performance that I was getting so I just put it down to it being my CPU that was the problem. So I brought my self an i7 3770 and I have seen no increase in performance, so I set out to fix it and have spent the last month trying. I have gotten almost no where, but this is what I do know, my CPU is running at 1.83 GHZ in task manager (I have never seen it go above or below this) and in CPUZ it is running at 1.6GHZ, the core speed is 1600mhz and everything seems to check out to be just fine in the bios. When I ran prime95 this is what I got

gyLNHfq.png

After 15 minutes of running P95 my temperature was still around 50 and my fan was still on idle. I looked through the BIOS and this is what was on the MIT screen
qpOy7rV.jpg

(Ignore me in the middle my monitor broke and this was taken on the tv on a sunny day)

zkXA2vg.jpg

What I have tried (from memory)
Editing my power plan
Turning all eco options off
Fresh installing windows twice
Reseting Bios
Updating Bios
Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

There wasn't much I was able to edit in the bios so I changed what I could and left it at that.

The rest of my specs
i7 3770
RX 580 4gb
2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1
550w 80+ Bronze Cooler Master psu
240gb Kingston SSD
1tb WD HDD

When I was using an i7 4770 I was able to get 60+ fps on most games but now I struggle to get even 30. Spin tires for example I once got 100 fps with the 4770 and now I get 40, Red Orchestra 2 I got 80 fps now I get 30, Day of Infamy I got 90 fps now I get 20-30, GTA V Online I got 60-70 fps now I get 20-30, Post Scriptum I got 60-70 fps and now I get 5-10. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with it. If anyone can help me please do it is starting to get annoying not being able to get a good fps when I payed for these parts. Any help is appreciated.
Z0qAhr5.png

z5dQ7QQ.png
2gt9ooJ.png

Spin tires- Single Player
Day of Infamy - full server
GTA V Online - 1 other player in lobby

Solution
Try this, its back from 2013 but the same issue, use Throttle stop to disable BD PROCHOT
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i7-3770k-stuck-at-1-6ghz-resolved.2355426/

quoted from link-

"Many motherboards use a feature called bi-directional processor hot (BD PROCHOT). This is a signal path on the board which goes directly to the CPU. This lets other components on your board, usually the voltage regulator, send signals to your CPU to force it to throttle down to the minimum speed which is 1600 MHz. It basically tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot so the CPU responds by running at its lowest speed to cool itself down.

It's possible that your CPU really is too hot but I think you would have noticed this in your...

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Try this, its back from 2013 but the same issue, use Throttle stop to disable BD PROCHOT

quoted from link-

"Many motherboards use a feature called bi-directional processor hot (BD PROCHOT). This is a signal path on the board which goes directly to the CPU. This lets other components on your board, usually the voltage regulator, send signals to your CPU to force it to throttle down to the minimum speed which is 1600 MHz. It basically tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot so the CPU responds by running at its lowest speed to cool itself down.

It's possible that your CPU really is too hot but I think you would have noticed this in your testing. My guess is that a sensor on your board is borked and is causing this problem. You can use ThrottleStop which lets you disable the BD PROCHOT signal path. As soon as you do this, your CPU will probably rise up to its rated speed and then some. :)

Disabling BD PROCHOT will NOT prevent your CPU from thermal throttling if it ever gets too hot. No software can disable this built in safety feature. Disabling BD PROCHOT simply prevents other items on your board from throttling your CPU. Good luck."

Link to latest throttle stop_ https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Solution

natedog1636

Honorable
BANNED
Aug 9, 2018

quoted from link-

It's possible that your CPU really is too hot but I think you would have noticed this in your testing. My guess is that a sensor on your board is borked and is causing this problem. You can use ThrottleStop which lets you disable the BD PROCHOT signal path. As soon as you do this, your CPU will probably rise up to its rated speed and then some. :)

Disabling BD PROCHOT will NOT prevent your CPU from thermal throttling if it ever gets too hot. No software can disable this built in safety feature. Disabling BD PROCHOT simply prevents other items on your board from throttling your CPU. Good luck."

Link to latest throttle stop_ https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/
Holy <Mod Edit>bro
IT <Mod Edit> WORKED!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.