i7 4770 Upgrade

G

Is it worth upgrading from an i7-4770 (which was bought by mistake), with a H87 motherboard, to an i7-4790K and a Z97 gaming 7 motherboard? I would overclock to around 4.4-4.5 GHz.

Solution
I wouldn't do that, the CPU is pretty much awesome for gaming or rendering, in gaming the OC will yield you say 10-25% increase at max, while costing $500, not worth the upgrade IMO. I'd simply get (if you're into gaming) a Z MoBo for SLI or CF at x8, which's optimal for high end cards. H MoBo don't run the second card at x8, so Z MoBo is what I'd prefer.
I wouldn't do that, the CPU is pretty much awesome for gaming or rendering, in gaming the OC will yield you say 10-25% increase at max, while costing $500, not worth the upgrade IMO. I'd simply get (if you're into gaming) a Z MoBo for SLI or CF at x8, which's optimal for high end cards. H MoBo don't run the second card at x8, so Z MoBo is what I'd prefer.

Solution

For games, you'll see little difference, if at all. For video editing/ rendering however, the scenario is different for different programs. Some depend on CPU a lot while many can mak use of CUDA cores for GPU acceleration (provided you have Geforce GPU). Some egs are:
- sony vegas pro 11 will use GPU, it's GPU-accelerated
- Vegas 9 uses only the CPU for rendering.
- Premiere Pro uses the GPU for some effects on the video preview
- After Effect use GPU
- Power director 7-8-9 use CPU (90%) and if ran with richvideo hasGPU-accelerated
- Edius use CPU

So it depends, softwares which only use CPU will gain from OCing, how much? Can't say with concrete assureness, but it'll be a bit faster, say a couple seconds (faster) on 30 mins video rendering.

you wont get more than 25% increase in editing and 5-10% in games . Get a second card and will get nearly 100% increase . If you are not satisfied , just will be happy trying SLI and then sell the second card .

Btw , what is your video card ? If it is GTX 760 , then get GTX 970 .