[SOLVED] *i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz at 100c when gaming!? **PLEASE HELP**

May 23, 2020
Hi, I'm 13 and have been saving for SO LONG and I recently bought a gaming pc off of facebook marketplace for $700(aud), and when I'm playing games like overwatch, the cpu temp will go to about 80c-100c? The cpu idles at around 35c-45c? I also noticed, when i push on the cpu fan/heatsink (I'm not sure what is is, I'm new to the PCMR) the temps will drop about 5c-8c? Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
RAM:16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 1201MHz ( 2 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE STICKS)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97M-PLUS (SOCKET 1150)
GPU:4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI)
STORAGE:2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA )

Solution
Hi, I'm 13 and have been saving for SO LONG and I recently bought a gaming pc off of facebook marketplace for $700(aud), and when I'm playing games like overwatch, the cpu temp will go to about 80c-100c? The cpu idles at around 35c-45c? I also noticed, when i push on the cpu fan/heatsink (I'm not sure what is is, I'm new to the PCMR) the temps will drop about 5c-8c? Specs:

Hi @Jyecam28,

1st off, Welcome to Tom's!

2nd, Good job on saving up & buying the PC...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @Jyecam28,

1st off, Welcome to Tom's!

2nd, Good job on saving up & buying the PC. :)

3rd. Please take a pic of the inside of your PC so we can see if you have a stock or aftermarket heat sink & fan setup. Due to its age, (DDR3 era) there is a possibility that the thermal paste between your CPU & heat sink has dried out. If that's the case, it'll not adequately do it's job and so you'll have high temps which will lead to all sorts of problems. Everything from poor gaming performance to random shutdowns to even hardware failure.

Whats the airflow like inside your PC? Do you have any case fans? Is everything clean & clear of dust?

If you can push on the heat sink and your temps go down some, that's a good indication that your heat sink possibly isn't seated correctly &/or the thermal paste has dried out.

If you feel confident on your ability to reapply the thermal paste, I would advise you do that immediately. This will also allow you to make sure everything is installed correctly as you do not know how the previous owner took care of the system. If not you, then a friend or family member you trust. If all else fails, take it into the shop to have them do it.

Please don't just wing it if you're not sure how. Be honest and we'll do what we can to help guide you through the steps. :) There are also a ton of quality "How-To" videos on Youtube that will walk you through the steps as well.

As for a thermal paste, if you don't have any, I'd highly recommend Artic MX-4 or Artic Silver 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD and boju
Solution
May 23, 2020
I know for a fact it has the stock intel cpu cooler. also do you know if this thermal paste would be any good as I live in Australia and this is the cheapest one I could find that s a well known brand.

May 23, 2020
I know for a fact it has the stock intel cpu cooler. also do you know if this thermal paste would be any good as I live in Australia and this is the cheapest one I could find that s a well known brand.
Coolermaster Master Gel Thermal Paste Compound CPU Cooler Thermal Paste

Apr 17, 2020
also, can someone give some recommendations about some cheap CPU coolers available in Australia?
Prices will go up and down. I am the same age and just bought the parts for my first computer. I was pretty lost at the beginning tho. Heck, I am still kinda lost. Hope the information on this forum helps you tho, it's great to ask questions and get invaluable feedback