Jan 19, 2021
Hello,
So I bought a used processor, thereby doesn't seem to be any defects that I have noticed. I made sure my bios was updated, thermal paste was put on properly all seemed to be good and dandy. But when I reset my bios to default setting of the chip it just won't go into windows. At times when I'm getting into bios seconds later it freezes and I have to manually reboot it. I evenly had to up the vcore to 1.3 (stock 1.09) for it to be stable but of course I'm getting serious heat, but seem to get current throttling (and on aide64 it says cpu throttling)on Intel Extreme tuning software when benchmarking, and it doesn't run the stock MHz 4 but jumps down to 3.4mhz. extremely frustrating. I removed ram and reinalled to make sure those weren't busted.

Help please!!
Specications-
Motherboard -Asus Z95-A,
PROCESSOR- I7 4790K previous (i5 4670k)
Cooler- Evo cooler Master
Ram- 1x 8gb Corsairs Vengeance ddr3,
1x4gb Corsairs Vengeance ddr3, 1x4gb someother brand.
Psu- Corsair cx750w
Gpu- GTX 1660 super.
Ssd- 250gb S, HDD WD 1TB, Seagate 1tb

Solution
turn down the multiplier to obtain 4gz, and undervolt the CPU to like 1.2v. if stable turn down voltage further. it should run 4ghz at like 1.10-1.15 v

to test stability use prime 95.

you have good cooling right ? 4790k were high end units, needed aftermarket coolers

if not stable at 4ghz.. well try to make it stable at 3.4 then increase multiplier to find the unstability point while keeping it at like 1.15v

do you intend to use this computer for gaming ? If so it depend of the game i guess. would be fine ifyou don't expect more than 30fps for modern games and 60fps for older games

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
yep, underclock it to like 4ghz, 1.15v and see how it goes

years ago i bought a VERY cheap FX9590 on ebay. turned out it could not support the default 1 core boost at 5ghz that this CPU does stock. So it did random BSOD at stock speeds. i just desactivated boost on the bios, and underclocked the CPU by like 100mhz, and it runned my GFs PC for years.
i got this cpu for peanuts, but it was more clocked than most OC'd FX8350 wich were more expensive so that's a win

actually i still have it in the basement lol. i may put it on ebay with a disclaimer ahah

Reactions: Lordzoro
Jan 19, 2021
So it did random BSOD at stock speeds. i just desactivated boost on the bios, and underclocked the CPU by like 100mhz, and it runned my GFs PC for years.
So I reinstalled windows, just in case to see if the drivers were messing something up. And followed ur instructions on turning turbo off, but still BSOD

Reactions: SamirD

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
turn down the multiplier to obtain 4gz, and undervolt the CPU to like 1.2v. if stable turn down voltage further. it should run 4ghz at like 1.10-1.15 v

you have good cooling right ? 4790k were high end units, needed aftermarket coolers

if not stable at 4ghz.. well try to make it stable at 3.4 then increase multiplier to find the unstability point while keeping it at like 1.15v

do you intend to use this computer for gaming ? If so it depend of the game i guess. would be fine ifyou don't expect more than 30fps for modern games and 60fps for older games

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordzoro
Solution
Jan 19, 2021

So I s

So I had the vcore @ 1.15 (stock was set at 1.08)turbo off, 4mhz and it was stable on aida64.

So it seemed that windows 10 was messing up my stuff before.
So you think I should turn turbo on or just overclock until stable?, Might not want to increase the vcore anymore right? Since air cooler (not stock)

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
i7 4790k’s are great CPUs.
Bought 3, turned 2 into spares after 3 years each, just put in my last new one on an ASRock Z97M WS, which is also new.

I’m in a giving mood and don’t need my first spare as these Dogs will hunt.
PM me if you keep having issues.

When I get CPU/Mobo’s that work, I stock up.
Testing a new Xeon W 1250P since they’re cheap, cool and fast.
If they keep working I’ll buy more since they’re cheap high binned CPU’s.

Prefer others buy the latest greatest and test them for a while making my future selections easier.

Reactions: Lordzoro and SamirD
Jan 19, 2021
i7 4790k’s are great CPUs.
Bought 3, turned 2 into spares after 3 years each, just put in my last new one on an ASRock Z97M WS, which is also new.

I’m in a giving mood and don’t need my first spare as these Dogs will hunt.
PM me if you keep having issues.

When I get CPU/Mobo’s that work, I stock up.
Testing a new Xeon W 1250P since they’re cheap, cool and fast.
If they keep working I’ll buy more since they’re cheap high binned CPU’s.

Prefer others buy the latest greatest and test them for a while making my future selections easier.
Let me know if you are planning on getting rid of it, I will definitely take it off your hands XD dealt a bad pair here.
No luck at 4ghz as well.. sort of blue screened again.. I'll try doing what @neojack said